Crashed into a car at 78Km and lived to tell the tale

RadioSchleck
RadioSchleck Posts: 10
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
I was involved in a road traffic accident a few weeks ago going just under 80 km. some plonker over took me and then braked suddenly while cutting me off at the same time. I had nowhere else to go except the back of his car. Hit my head on hit lampost I think) as i went flying over the back of his car and then landed on my back before losing consciousness for a few seconds (i think). Just wanted to know if anyone else has had any similar experiences and would like to share.

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    You definitely win. Injuries? Compensation? Prosecutions? Glad you your still here to type your story!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Glad you are ok, but 78kph?! Were you going downhill?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    pics or it didnt happen
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Really?!?!?! And you commute at that speed?!?! That's quite a hill you must have been bombing down, I am assuming!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Were you wearing a helmet?That should get some responses.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I rode my bike into the back of a parked car at 35mph when I was 15. I knew it was 35mph as I was looking at the ruddy speedometer rather than the road ahead. Broken femur and tibia, smashed up face but lived to tell the tale. Doctor said if my head had been a few degrees further up, I'd have been a goner. Although if it had been, I'd have probably seen the car.
  • clarkey cat
    When I was younger I used to bomb down a hill that had a junction at the bottom. There was a petrol station on the left hand side of the junction so rather than waiting at the junction I would cut through the petrol station at speed.

I kept this practice up for years until one day I miraculously found myself in hospital.

I'd gone between two cars.... didn't see the tow-rope.
  • veronese68
    I'd gone between two cars.... didn't see the tow-rope.
    Sorry, that made me chuckle. Am I a bad man?
    I woke up in hospital once when I was 12. Looked around and my Dad was asleep on a camp bed next to me. I asked him what happened. He told me I'd fallen off my bike. I told him I needed a new bike as that one was dangerous. He told me i'd fallen off my new bike. I asked if I'd damaged the bike and what it was.
    Apparently we'd had exactly the same conversation on an hourly basis all through the night. I'd been given the bike, a 10 speed Falcon racer, for my birthday 2 days earlier. I'd gone down a hill, not made the corner and hit a tree.
    At least that's what they tell me. I still don't remmeber the accident, getting the bike or any of it until waking up the last time. First time I saw the bike was in the back of the car leaving the hospital.
    The doctors said if I was wearing a helmet it would have saved my life. Last line is obviously untrue.
  • clarkey cat
    Veronese - that is exactly what happened to me with the tow-rope incident! Kept asking my Dad the same things over and over again. The difference between our Dads is that mine didnt hang around - he said I was doing my head in too much and left me in A&E!!!
  • veronese68
    Veronese - that is exactly what happened to me with the tow-rope incident! Kept asking my Dad the same things over and over again. The difference between our Dads is that mine didnt hang around - he said I was doing my head in too much and left me in A&E!!!
    Unlike me, my father is a very patient man that doesn't say a lot.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Spent sunday afternoon in A&E with Bomp jr on the other end of this conversation! Skateboard, not cycling though. He was a bit distressed at the amnesia and kept on asking what day it was - I could tell he was improving though as after telling him about the 20th time he remembered.
    He swears he's always going to wear his helmet in future so according to weadmire it will be much worse the next time he bangs his head
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    ketsbaia wrote:
    I rode my bike into the back of a parked car at 35mph when I was 15. I knew it was 35mph as I was looking at the ruddy speedometer rather than the road ahead. Broken femur and tibia, smashed up face but lived to tell the tale. Doctor said if my head had been a few degrees further up, I'd have been a goner. Although if it had been, I'd have probably seen the car.

I did that, got out of back door of the car having gone clean through the back windows. Cut under the nose, a nose bleed (not broken nose mind) and a very very bad brushing on top of legs where they smashed into handlebars. No idea how fast I was going other than flat out on 5 speed rally sprint. No idea to this day how it happened, amneisia too, but I did have habit of looking back through legs to check which gear I was in as they were not indexed and on the down tube. To this day I have a scar under my nose from the cut the scab from which for weeks after the accident made me look like hitler.

The bike was a rut off as the top tub and down tube on the bike where about an inch shorter having crumbled, the front fork was straight having lost it's bend, the rim on the front wheel was along side the down tube, but most odd was the front wheel which was still true.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The doctors said if I was wearing a helmet it would have saved my life.

Sublime
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    When I was 5 I pedaled my little bike down a short hill and came to an immediate halt as the front wheel buried itself into a couple of inches of gravel - top lip split up into right nostril, claret all over the place.
    When I was 15 I hit a house brick laying in the road. Only saw it at the last second and couldn't avoid it. Front end bounced up, I lost control and went into the kerb. Bounced off that and went over the h/bars and 'chewed' the pavement loosing 4 teeth and getting 20 stitches in me chin (which along with my lips swelled up to 3 X the normal size). For years after I had the nickname 'CHIN' as my Army mates swore that I had had a chin extension sewn on !!!
    When I was 47 I was on an MTB race when I hit a tree stump - the bike stopped, I didn't and landed on the point of right shoulder smashing the collar bone a good un.
    On none of the above did I hit a car nor was I moving at more than about 15mph - somehow just doesn't seem fair .....!

Glad you're ok though...
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Sketchley wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

I did that, got out of back door of the car having gone clean through the back windows. Cut under the nose, a nose bleed (not broken nose mind) and a very very bad brushing on top of legs where they smashed into handlebars. No idea how fast I was going other than flat out on 5 speed rally sprint. No idea to this day how it happened, amneisia too, but I did have habit of looking back through legs to check which gear I was in as they were not indexed and on the down tube. To this day I have a scar under my nose from the cut the scab from which for weeks after the accident made me look like hitler.

The bike was a rut off as the top tub and down tube on the bike where about an inch shorter having crumbled, the front fork was straight having lost it's bend, the rim on the front wheel was along side the down tube, but most odd was the front wheel which was still true.....

Heh. My bike was a complete write-off too. Frame was fine, as was the front wheel (somewhat miraculously), but the forks were bent back so the front wheel was stuck fast against the downtube. Oh, and I'd pulled the stem out of the headtube with the impact of femur on handlebar. :\
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Doing 25mph (40kmh) car coming in the opposite direction turned right and t-boned me.

Nothing broken fortunately I went over the handlebars and not under the car - 2 months of dealing with internal bruising and shoulder still not working properly - total compensation £3,200.

For driver (6 points and £600 fine - increased insurance costs - damage to car) guess I win the financial battle.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    This is getting like that scene in Jaws.
  • Mikey2
    Mikey2 Posts: 31
    Reminds me of when I was 8 or so - came off in the street just outside home. Over the handlebars job (still not sure why). Big gashes on eyebrow and chin with lots of blood. Dad drove to A&E, with me sitting on Mums lap in the front. Scratched my leg (had shorts on) and found I had an inch deep hole in my left thigh, about an inch in diameter. No blood just fatty flesh!
    I screamed and my Dad almost crashed the car.

The moral here is - always put the bungs in the ends of drop handlebars.

Inch across would have gone through main blood vessel, the other way would have been adieu to Mr winky
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    T-Boned a car doing 20mph or so (f*cker pulled out of a side road without looking). Broken collar bone and front wheel was the serious damage. Got some excellent compo.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Mikey2 wrote:
    Reminds me of when I was 8 or so - came off in the street just outside home. Over the handlebars job (still not sure why). Big gashes on eyebrow and chin with lots of blood. Dad drove to A&E, with me sitting on Mums lap in the front. Scratched my leg (had shorts on) and found I had an inch deep hole in my left thigh, about an inch in diameter. No blood just fatty flesh!
    I screamed and my Dad almost crashed the car.
    Similar incident and probably when I was about 8 as well. Bike with front brakes only. Following a mate, he braked suddenly, I braked, went over the handlebars straight into a steel freestanding 99 Flake sign. Big gash in my forearm with fatty yellow flesh showing. Cycled home one-handed. Dad covered it with a large adhesive plaster, then beat me up with a stick. I never fell off the bike again (or at least didn't go crying to him when I did). It was a much simpler time then.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    When I was about 12 or so, went racing off down the road (actually it was a busy car park), holding a plastic bag in my right hand, the bag went into the front wheel, the bike stopped dead and I flipped over the handlebars.

25 years later and I am still on the NHS waiting list for a pride transplant as mine was damaged beyond repair.