DH ring and no bash?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Wondering, can I ditch my bash ring and just run my chain guide now that I have a single ring specific chainring?

I would like a bash, for obvious reasons... I guess a taco is an option but I'm already using my ISCG tabs. Anything else I could consider?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Most people i see doing DH run integrated taco and chainguide device.
  • Yeah, like I said am already using the ISCG tabs.... My current chainguide only cost me £20 new, so don't fancy paying £70 for an e-13 lmao!

Either that, or I need a lighter bash! the SLX one weighs a tonne!
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Go for it. I'm planning on dropping my bash completely and just running a guide. Hopefully be more reliable than what I have at the moment. Dropped the chain at some very inconvinient moments and earlier ended in a nast accident. Fed up with it now. I don't think the bash has ever done anything yet *touch wood*, in an ideal world I'd run a guide with a taco but money is an issue currently.
  • yeah, kinda in the same boat... I think the only time my bash has been 'bashed' was when I was pushing the bike over some logs up a hill lol!

Plus, I've got a bit of pimpage that is hiding behind my bash!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It depends on the guide, some don't work very well without a bash.
  • peter413 wrote:
    Not sure what difference it would make? Surely they are independent of each other?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I have a saint bash going spare, but I would ditch it, Im going 1*10 when funds permit.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Pretty sure the saint and slx bash is the same, I've had both.. both honeycomb styleee!

Hmm think I'll give it a go and see what happens. Will order some orange MOWA chainring bolts :)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Pretty sure the saint and slx bash is the same, I've had both.. both honeycomb styleee!

Hmm think I'll give it a go and see what happens. Will order some orange MOWA chainring bolts :)

Alloy? I find the buggers wear out really quick, too soft for me.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    A bash. Is not needed. Many DH. Bash are not even bash rings just guide rings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    Pretty sure the saint and slx bash is the same, I've had both.. both honeycomb styleee!

Alloy? I find the buggers wear out really quick, too soft for me.

Can't find them in a short version anyway lol. I've had some before but they must have been KCNC... when torqued correctly their fine, had no issues with mine!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    peter413 wrote:
    Not sure what difference it would make? Surely they are independent of each other?
    No, some (a lot) of chain guides require a bash guard to function, your sunline guide is one of them. Guides like the superstar laser/plasma, MRP G2 etc with the full top guide don't require a bash (and don't work as well with one), on a guide without a fully enclosed top guide, a bash guard is required to keep the chain on.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • hmm, superstar could be the way forward then... don't mind paying £35.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Stop being cheap and buy the plasma :P the laser looks horrible and weighs a ton (would make the whole removing the bash to save weight thing completely void)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A bash looks cool. Bit like go faster stripes and cards in your spokes.

That's why I have one :D

Actually I got one because I never used the big ring on my old triple but kept grounding the big ring especially as the BB was low. The bash was smaller but sat where the big ring was. Since put that crank on the hard tail and gone single but kept the bash on there to keep it neat rather than get a single ring crank, and to keep the chain on (have a JumpStop little gadget on the other side).

The big bike has a 2x10 and chain is sat mostly on the big ring so looks fine and I don't ground it. DH isn't my main thing but occasionally give it a go and finding I need a guide there to hold tension and keep the chain from springing off.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I've seen a 1/4 bash, can't remember who makes them though..

Like this one but a different brand/design http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48105
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3