What brand are the pads in Avid Elixir 5 discs - replacement

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I need to replace both sets of pads on my Avid Elixir 5's. I'm happy with the current ones supplied but don't know what brand they are (Avid Elixir 5) as I can only as a cryptic code on them. So does anyone know what brand Avid use as default pads, and if not then should I be looking for organic or sintered (superstar components look good). I ride XC, mainly in the dry and am the opposite of what you'd call an aggro rider, so I won't be needing anything heavy duty.
many thanks in advance.
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Avid brakes come with avid pads... which are massively expensive. I would get the Superstar Kevlars. Gives a good balance of the longevity of the Sintered, with the performance of organic.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you don't ride in the wet, Superstar organics are good, but lasted less than 20 miles in sunny South Wales. I use SS sintered, but the youngster has kevlar. Depends on the weather and your pocket, but even SS kevlar are cheap enough, so I'll stop waffling.
    Just take ben's advice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    benpinnick wrote:
    Avid brakes come with avid pads... which are massively expensive. I would get the Superstar Kevlars. Gives a good balance of the longevity of the Sintered, with the performance of organic.

I've stuck some ss kevlars in my elixir1 and they are a massive improvment over the avid pads.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • pseymour
    pseymour Posts: 194
    Many thanks for the advice folks. Superstar Kevlars ordered (4 pack for £25).
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.