Trek Fuel EX 5 2012

kev68
kev68 Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
hi newbie here,

I am looking to buy a bike for a return after 20 year gap! need to get fit again :)

was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this bike Trek Fuel EX 5 2012

I will be riding both off and on roads, Is this a decent bike for the task or does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi

I've just got back into biking again and I was also looking at 'lower end' FS bikes for exactly the same use as you really. After speaking to a few lads in my local bike shops and listening to what the guys on here had to say, i decided on a 'higher end' HT bike. I don't know if that's something you might look into but I'm really happy with my decision.

I suppose it depends how 'off road' you want to go really mate but I'd definately check out some of the hardtails on offer at around the price (and cheaper) that you'll be paying for the Trek.

Jim
    Cannondale SL1 2012

'As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster' - Henry Hill
  • stanny_uk
    stanny_uk Posts: 147
    check out canyon cycles.. direct delivery form german factory nerve xc 6.00 about £1100 and much much better spec than trek coz no distributers or middle men to deal with... the nerve 9.0 has won awards and its same frame only higher spec'd,,http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2555
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    EX5 rides pretty badly, horrible suspension. Giant Trance X4 is much nicer and only about another £100
  • kev68
    kev68 Posts: 3
    thanks for the replies, maybe a highend ht might be better, any suggestions on a good one?

thanks
  • I went for the Cannondale SL1, cost me a shade under a grand. Really happy with it so far...

To be honest, your best bet is probably to have an afternoon of hitting all the bike shops you can and see what feels and looks nice.

Jim
    Cannondale SL1 2012

'As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster' - Henry Hill