Vasectomy - Time off Bike

Coach H
Coach H Posts: 1,092
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
The appointment to disconnect the family jewels is on Friday

What are peoples experiences regarding time off bike.

(Really I am not squeemish about the process and saying you rode home from yours is just boasting, so thank you but please dont bother posting responses refering to either)
Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')

Comments

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Coach H wrote:

(Really I am not squeemish about the process and saying you rode home from yours is just boasting, so thank you but please dont bother posting responses refering to either)

I really don't think you should refer to your good lady this way...
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Coach H wrote:

I really don't think you should refer to your good lady this way...

Sorry, I have no helpful advice in this area.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I wasn't cycling at the time I had mine but I would say probably a couple of weeks to allow the sticthes to properly dissolve just from an infection risk point of view as much as the pain.
  • I gave it a calendar month. I made a concious decision beforehand to give it at least that long before I even considered riding otherwise I know I'd have been tempted.

I felt 90% fine within days, but didn't feel 100% 'right' for a good couple of weeks, so don't rush it. A friend of mine did, and got an infection.

Take the advise they give you, '2 days in bed, supportive underwear for 2 weeks...' etc etc. Gravity is not your friend !
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'd go with the 2 weeks minimum too. It's very sensitive for some days after and not worth damaging just for the want of being on the bike a bit sooner. Thumbs, fingers, nose, ears etc? Yeah no problem. damage em all you like and they'll grow back one way or another. Not your bits & bobs though.

Not squeamish eh? Make sure the doc waits for the anesthetic to take effect before he starts the incision on the underside at the base. That would be my advice based on my overly enthusiastic medic's approach. "Oh hold fire a moment please - that smarts a bit" was the phrase I like to think I used. Probably wasn't. And be ready for the tugging of the pipe that goes all the way up into the pit of your stomach. When he's trying to get a bit more length to overlap the ends it requires a bit of a tug, and that makes the eyes water a bit. Imagine a kick in the spuds without the impact pain but more of the ambient agony. :)

Feel free fellow BRers to advise our chum here on the non-squeamish aspects of having your plumbing hacked about.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Not much pain after a couple of days but infection is the biggest risk. Hot damp conditions are a perfect breeding ground for germs so stay off until stitches are out.
  • The smell of burning was the worst bit as they did whatever they did to seal the ends up of the 'pipes' they'd just cut :shock:

The most bizarre bit of the whole process was when the 2 nurses that were doing the op asked me if I had any plans for the weekend as it was Valentine's !
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • Pross
    Worst bit for me was I was prescribed a local anaesthetic cream but given no directions on what to do with it which meant that the anaesthetic jab had to go in without any prior numbing! Also, by time the one side is done the other side works out what is happening and retreats inwards meaning much more prodding and pulling to get to it.
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    CiB wrote:
    Not squeamish eh? Make sure the doc waits for the anesthetic to take effect before he starts the incision on the underside at the base. That would be my advice based on my overly enthusiastic medic's approach. "Oh hold fire a moment please - that smarts a bit" was the phrase I like to think I used. Probably wasn't.

LMFAO :lol::lol::lol:
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Had "it" done in October, turbo after a week and back out on the bike in 10 days.
    I had the no scalpel/no stitches opp(still don't get the no scalpel side), everything healed up quickly because the cuts are left open to drain.
    Virtual pain free opp and zero problems since.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    If you have the choice go for general anaesthetic, I am happy I was asleep for mine & I hate that instant out / awake feeling. I was 3 weeks off the bike & could have gone another but for shifts meaning I didn't have much choice. Watch out for shooting a bloody one out. They never warned me about that & its a scary moment, but apparently quite normal.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Coach H wrote:

oooo saddle-up. Give it 2 weeks at least.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MTFU I was at gym the next day.
    Only embarrasing bit was they had a trainee nurse in to 'observe', and she was really cute. Was a bit worried I'd get an obvious on, but a needle in the knackers doesn't half take your mind off it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Had mine done nearly 15 years ago, I wasn't a cyclist then but just follow the guidance. I think I had to wear briefs whenever possible and loose fitting trousers.

If I remember correctly everything was working as normal after a couple of weeks, 'course there was no sugar in the tea.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    CiB wrote:
    And be ready for the tugging of the pipe that goes all the way up into the pit of your stomach. When he's trying to get a bit more length to overlap the ends it requires a bit of a tug, and that makes the eyes water a bit. Imagine a kick in the spuds without the impact pain but more of the ambient agony. :)
    That was the part where I fainted. Bless him, when I came to he cheerily said "I thought I'd finish whilst you were out so we're all done."
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    Exactly why I am putting it off, thanks all.

Just can't face it no no no no no.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    If you have the choice go for general anaesthetic, I am happy I was asleep for mine & I hate that instant out / awake feeling. I was 3 weeks off the bike & could have gone another but for shifts meaning I didn't have much choice. Watch out for shooting a bloody one out. They never warned me about that & its a scary moment, but apparently quite normal.

Coming or going?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The snip is in my very near future.

Not looking forward to it at all....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    You'll want a week off work, even walking is an effort the next day or so, they feel like they weigh about 6 pounds each (waits for the comments "mine do anyway" ha ha ha :roll: ).

I had one very tight stitch which just didn't look right and was making extra pain. I took that out after the second day and everything felt much better. :D

The older I get, the better I was.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Don't forget the follow-up a few weeks later when you have to provide a sample for the sperm count check. I pitched up with mine (after some assistance from the good lady wife) only to be told that it needs to be 'fresher than that', and could I go and produce another one. What? Here? In the corridor? Quick trip back home and knock one out you say? But she's gone to work now...

Worse was my boss phoning as I was on the way back into the hospital; he asked me where I was so I tried to fob him off with a vague 'just some routine medical appt' and he latched on. Big chortle + 'oh I know what you've been doing'. Yeah cheers for that.
  • Pross
    CiB wrote:
    Don't forget the follow-up a few weeks later when you have to provide a sample for the sperm count check. I pitched up with mine (after some assistance from the good lady wife) only to be told that it needs to be 'fresher than that', and could I go and produce another one. What? Here? In the corridor? Quick trip back home and knock one out you say? But she's gone to work now...

Worse was my boss phoning as I was on the way back into the hospital; he asked me where I was so I tried to fob him off with a vague 'just some routine medical appt' and he latched on. Big chortle + 'oh I know what you've been doing'. Yeah cheers for that.

Both mine had to be posted off to some random bloke for testing! My first thought was "surely that won't be fresh enough?" and my second was I feel sorry for the postie as surely some of the packages break during transport?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    CiB wrote:
    I'd go with the 2 weeks minimum too. It's very sensitive for some days after and not worth damaging just for the want of being on the bike a bit sooner. Thumbs, fingers, nose, ears etc? Yeah no problem. damage em all you like and they'll grow back one way or another. Not your bits & bobs though.

Not squeamish eh? Make sure the doc waits for the anesthetic to take effect before he starts the incision on the underside at the base. That would be my advice based on my overly enthusiastic medic's approach. "Oh hold fire a moment please - that smarts a bit" was the phrase I like to think I used. Probably wasn't. And be ready for the tugging of the pipe that goes all the way up into the pit of your stomach. When he's trying to get a bit more length to overlap the ends it requires a bit of a tug, and that makes the eyes water a bit. Imagine a kick in the spuds without the impact pain but more of the ambient agony. :)

Feel free fellow BRers to advise our chum here on the non-squeamish aspects of having your plumbing hacked about.

Thanks for the heads-up...
    ouch...
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The snip is in my very near future.

Not looking forward to it at all....

Same here - I'll wait till the autumn or snow - can't be having days off the bike !
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    fossyant wrote:
    can't be having days off the bike !

Wish I'd thought of that excuse before I had mine :(
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I had a really bad one in December - think an inch of stitches right up the middle because of some scarring from a long time ago.

Tried a short ride after a month and it was awful so took a few more weeks off. Even now I'm not as comfortable on the bike as I was before - I've kind of lost my dangle - every day looks like a cold one so things are clonking around right at the top of my thighs.

Sorry, didn't mean to put you off - mine was definitely exceptional - but was just curious if anyone else had that. I've been trying to stretch things out in the shower but still feels a bit weird.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    ^^^ Waaaaaaaay too much information thanks.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No burning with mine; I've apparently got titanium clips! (can feel them if I have a careful squidge about)
    Gorgeous redheaded nurse assisted at my op, and I bumped into her a couple of weeks later watching our respective sons playing football :shock:
    One stitch was a bit too tight and started to nag after 4 days, so I took it out myself.
    Other than that, a pretty painless process and a quick recovery. Back to work after a day or so and probly 2 weeks before lowering things gently onto a saddle again
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Seems that everything varies.

I was "done" in the afternoon and had booked the day off following, by lunch I felt like a fraud and started emailing and calling by 1pm and back at work the day after. I left it a week and went cycling with the kids...managed 30mins and started to feel a bit uneasy.

Left it another week (so 2 in total) and we riding - the bike - as normal.

They assesed me on the way into the theatre for my expectation of the pain and I said 8-9 out of 10, on the way out I reviewed it as probably 3-4 in actual discomfort.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "They assesed me on the way into the theatre for my expectation of the pain and I said 8-9 out of 10"

That was me going to see Starlight Express!