Stronger Rider?

cavell
cavell Posts: 12
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
What makes you a Stronger Rider?
Is it spinning very fast in an easy gear whilst out training or pushing a hard gear...

Comments

• Human response to training stimulii is an incredibly complex science and can be very very precise - but - in short, the simple answer is: high cadence spinning with lower resistance would tend to stress the cardiovascular system more (in most people) and so would favour devlopment of aerobic type fitness. Lower cadence grinding of higher gears (less reps higher overload) would tend to stress the musculoskeletal system more and so favor development of muscle strength.

id where your weakness lies and you can focus your training to get the outcomes you want.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    cavell wrote:
    Is it spinning very fast in an easy gear whilst out training or pushing a hard gear...

Both :)

Power is related to speed and torque, so it's about being able to spin very fast in a hard gear!
    Simon
  • MartinB2444
    MartinB2444 Posts: 266
    Don't get too bogged down with cadence. Go for the gear that you feel is quickest for you and ride hard building up the length of rides as your endurance improves. Throwing in some intervals is supposed to accelerate development of both aerobic and anaerobic fitness, if you have undulating roads you can effectively do this by blasting the hills or you can try regular blasts between lamp posts. Don't forget to enjoy the ride and don't become a slave to the computer!

Martin
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    edited March 2012
    cavell wrote:

neither its the rider with the most developed cardiovascular system
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I find being born on Krypton has helped.

I wish. :cry:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    To be honest, you are best reading up a decent book on training instead of expecting good advice from the forum. You won't have to sift through good and bad advice, trying to work out who is correct.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    nathancom wrote:
    To be honest, you are best riding your bike.
    FTFY
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    nathancom wrote:
    To be honest, you are best reading up a decent book on training instead of expecting good advice from the forum. You won't have to sift through good and bad advice, trying to work out who is correct.

That is the best advice ever on here as evinced by the response after it. But basically, high cadence uses up oxygen so unless you are anaerobically fit, you will tire quickly. Big gear slow cadence uses more muscle and is less demanding on oxygen intake. Easiest way to see what this means for you is to do two rides (preferably using a HRM and GPS device that measures cadence and speed) one at high cadence in a low gear and one at low cadence in a high gear. Your results are likely to be very different with high heart rate and better overall average speed with high cadence.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nathancom was bang on. No one got fast from reading a book.
    It's the bike riding you need to do.

Different pro riders have different cadences anyway so it's not as simple as finding that magic rpm.
    Most beginners do pedal too slowly though. 60rpm or so and most pros are over 80 or thereabouts.

But still - ride the bike more.
  • nathancom
    cougie wrote:

No, I am suggesting he gets hold of a decent training book so he knows how to get the most out of the time he spends on a bike and has a plan for how he is going to improve his endurance/strength/speed.

Since you can get about 20 different opinions on the simplest question you are better spending your non-riding time in a training book than surfing this forum.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    nathancom wrote:
    cougie wrote:

No, I am suggesting he gets hold of a decent training book so he knows how to get the most out of the time he spends on a bike and has a plan for how he is going to improve his endurance/strength/speed.

Since you can get about 20 different opinions on the simplest question you are better spending your non-riding time in a training book than surfing this forum.

And you will get 20 lots of advice from 20 training books too (or from 20 coaches). You need to monitor what works best for you.
  • nathancom
    For sure - if there was only one way to become better then there would be only one book.

However, as long as you have a good plan, tailor it to your needs, stick with it and monitor how well it is suiting your needs you will get better, and a lot better than following most of the advice on forums.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    We are all different and even with the pro riders there are those who have a relatively slow cadence and prefer to grind out a big gear. What is important is the work rate of the rider. If you're grinding out a big gear but only working at 50% of MHR you're under performing. Work out your various HR levels to give you a better idea of what riding technique works for you when trying high and low cadence.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.