Time to replace my BB?

luckypierre
luckypierre Posts: 76
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Went out for a much needed ride last weekend and had a bit of a nightmare, finding it really hard work. it was only half way round when I thought "surely I can't be this unfit". To which end I got off my bike and began inspecting.

Two things immediately became apparent my back brake is rubbing and therefore I am getting no rolling momentum. Which I can rectify pretty easily, just with a good clean,grease and overhaul of wheels and brakes, maybe replace the pads. Pray its nothing more than that cause I am skint.

The second thing was the pedal crank was stiff going round, never really noticed it before but my ride buddy had his new bike out for the first time and the difference was huge. Again I can take out the BB and clean and overhaul but maybe I need a new one, as its done probably about 800miles.

I understand that BB's come in a variety of sizes and fits, so if I need to change I just want to understand what I souhld look for. I have googled the one fitted and it seems to be for DH, surely that can't be right? I am too old to be doing anything like DH, I am at an age when I go down it takes a lot to get me up again!!

My bike spec is below:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/ ... 0#features

Any pointers would be gratefully recieved.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Specs can change. What is on your actual bike? What does it say on the crank. Pics will help.
  • Sorry Super not sure at the moment as i am at work but I ride a 2008 GT Avalanche Expert and haven't changed the part from new.
    I will have a look later, was thinking that if it does need replacing going with the SLX BB i would imagine shimano would fit. I am pretty sure from memory that my crank set is trueativ but not sure on the particular model.
  • supersonic
    The SLX BB will fit the frame, but not the crank if a Truvativ.
  • Thanks for the feedback Supersonic.

I have checked and it is a Truvativ Firex crank. What BB's will fit this and the frame if required. i have looked at the Truvativ BB's on wiggle and their either quite cheap or very expensive and i am a middle of the road guy.

Will get the BB out tonight time permitting. Got a poorly baby in the house and so she takes up most of my time the wife is not too forgiving regarding stripping down bikes in the front room these days.
  • supersonic
    Depends which Firex lol. If you can get a couple of pics up we might be able to tell. Some use an external bottom bracket, some a cartridge (square taper, or ISIS, or even powerspline).

Any other words on the crank?