Avid G3 Rotor for XT rear Disc brake?

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Can i use an Avid G3 rotor with a Shimano XT M785 disc brake? Reason for asking is that i can only get the brake without the rotor.

Will the rotor be compatible? Also will my mounts from my Elixir 5 be compatible for the brake?
The brake is for the rear and is a replacement for my Elixir 5

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Assuming its either a 160 or 180 rotor its fine. If the rotor you had was a 185, which some Avids are (but your's probably are not), then its new rotor and adaptor time.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mikeyj28
    benpinnick wrote:
    Assuming its either a 160 or 180 rotor its fine. If the rotor you had was a 185, which some Avids are (but your's probably are not), then its new rotor and adaptor time.

It is a 160mm rotor on the rear. The mounts i currently use should be fine too yes?
    Thanks for the reply
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yes.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mikeyj28
    benpinnick wrote:
    Yes.

brilliant

thank you!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Although rotors are allegedly 'all the same' my own experience is that Shimano's finest are slightly thinner than Avid's school-metalwork-project rotors and a Shimano caliper with an Avid rotor has less modulation. Plenty of initial bite but after that it's very much on-off.

RT76 rotors are ace BTW
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    benpinnick wrote:
    There will be no problem fitting a 185mm rear with the existing mounting brackets. In my case, the problem is with front mounting bracket...

To the OP: You will be able to use your G3 rotor with the existing hardware with XT brakes. Just leave out the CPS washers.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010