Front hub service - Shimano HB-M475

muzzle1
muzzle1 Posts: 21
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all, hope somebody can help me with a bit of advice re the above. First time attempt at a front hub service... just stripped down and cleaned it out last night. Bearing races seemed OK, not pitted or anything. Bearings looked unworn too, but I replaced with new bearings (definitely the right size) and fresh grease anyway.

Couple of issues on putting everything back together:

Firstly, when I spin the wheel with the axle resting on my fingertips I can feel a subtle 'catching' where I expected it to run perfectly smoothly. is this normal or is it something that should concern me? Am I being naive in expecting it to feel perfect with new bearings?

Secondly, when I put the locknut back and fastened everything back together it all seemed to go too easily ie. there was none of that fiddling around striking the balance between too tight and too loose that I'd read about; the wheel rolls fine (albeit with the aforementioned imperfection), and there is no side-to-side play in the axle at all. Should I just be pleased about that, or could I have done something wrong?!

Hope somebody can help on this - I'm determined to become self-sufficient when it comes to bike maintenance, so I'm keen to learn and take advice whenever I can. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    muzzle1 wrote:
    Firstly, when I spin the wheel with the axle resting on my fingertips I can feel a subtle 'catching' where I expected it to run perfectly smoothly. is this normal or is it something that should concern me? Am I being naive in expecting it to feel perfect with new bearings?

I wouldn't expect "catching", fresh bearings should run free.

You've definitely got all the new bearings in the race?

The cups & cones were definitely ok, no pitting or marks or scoring?
  • muzzle1
    Hi mrmonkfinger. Yes, 10 bearings each side. All in the race - I don't quite understand that bit to be honest; is it possible for them to have slipped elsewhere?
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    exact same with my M775 rear hub. Very slight catching despite new bearings, full clean and no pits/grooves that I can see.

I found marginally loosening the hub (and I am talking fractional) lessened this by about 75%.

I'm still not 100% happy but to be honest it's not affecting the ride that I can tell.
  • muzzle1
    Thanks for that Mccraque, someone on Singletrackworld also suggested the cones may still be a little too tight so I'll try loosening them further tonight. Presumably they should be as loose as possible but without any side-to-side play in the axle...?
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    When adjusted right, you should be able to get a tiny tiny bit of movement when the wheel is not in the frame. When it is in the frame and QR is done up, the movement goes away.

No surprise, it can be a bit of a faff to get the adjustment just right
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    I'd get rid of the race, just use loose bearings and be careful when putting them back together.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are loose bearings. The race in the part of the hub they run on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are you sure the axel is not slightly bent?