Recovering images from Compact Flash

drays
drays Posts: 119
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
So we were at a Christening yesterday of some friends little girl, and took loads of photos on my dslr on a formatted (empty) CF card. Mrs drays plugs it into the card reader last night, the photos flash up then disappear. Now the card says its empty (no files and 964Mb free on a 1 Gb card). Put it back in the camera and it says there's a problem with the CF card. So, corrupt card.

:(

Can anyone recommend any tools for recovering the photos?
2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB

Comments

• lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    There's some hints and tips in this thread, after Greg66 was having issues last week.

Data Recovery company that was recommended is this one, although they quoted me c.£500 (inc. VAT) to try and retrieve files off a 16Gb USB memory stick!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Sounds like the reader cut the power off to the card when it was busy writing control information. This is the bane of a flash card's life (and the reason why it's worth spending the extra on a proper one). You may be lucky and get the files back using some of the "undelete" style software, but do it soon, before the flash gets re-used.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecov ... ograms.htm
  • drays
    lastant wrote:
    There's some hints and tips in this thread, after Greg66 was having issues last week.

Yeah i saw that thread, I was hoping for a bit of software to try on the card
    lastant wrote:
    Data Recovery company that was recommended is this one, although they quoted me c.£500 (inc. VAT) to try and retrieve files off a 16Gb USB memory stick!

The photos are ok but they aren't worth that much to me!
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • drays
    Thanks undercoverelephant - I'll have a look at that
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I got a free reg code when I last bought an SD card... it was a sandisk extreme cat 10 card, so assume a similar offer would run with CF. You could hit two birds with one stone and get a new card and some software.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • recuva is your friend here.

do a google, think you can get it as freeware.

same thing happened to my mum and dads CF card after their hols, but i managed to recover all the photos. very easy to use as well.

good luck
    Cube Acid 2011 MTB
    Boardman Road Team....... yes i have had the BB re-greased :-)
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    another thumbs up for recuva.
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

As long as the card is still recognised as a drive when connected to your PC you should be able to get the images off. You should first try connecting the camera with card to your PC and running a scan in recuva on whichever drive letter it gets assigned.
  • drays
    Thanks, I'll see if I can get it to run.

Anyone got any recommendations for using on a mac?
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Disk Drill is meant to be very good. Free too. :)

http://www.cleverfiles.com/
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    If you're on a Mac try PhotoRec. It's part of the very useful testdisk suite.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • drays
    Thanks guys, I've got plently to try out when I get home tonight!
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon