Campag Cable set

markwb79
markwb79 Posts: 937
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

I am trying to install my new cable set and have a couple of questions.

I cant seem to get the cable stops onto the brake cable as they are a larger diameter, I have looked and it doesnt seem that there are different diameter stops within the set?

Also, in the picture below. There is the stop on the bottom right that is a differnet shape. Where is this supposed to be used? Also, I only got one of them, is this correct?

I couldnt find any decent instructions online, hence my very simple questions!!!

Thanks
Mark

campag-11speed-cableset-med.jpg
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• kippy
    kippy Posts: 26
    Hi mate,
    the ferrules included with campag are for the gear outers only, you will need to get some seperate ones for the slightly thicker brake outer.

the stepped ferrules are a bit of a thing of the past nowadays and were usually used on steel franes for the short section of gear outer near the rear mech.

Kippy :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    You don't need ferrules for the brakes... if you really want them, you can buy them separately... use them ONLY on the caliper side and don't try to insert ferrules in the ERGO lever.
    The pointy ferrule is for the rear derailleur cable, depending on which frame you've got, you might need it or not...
    left the forum March 2023
  • kippy
    kippy Posts: 26
    You will definately need 2 ferrules if the frame has a split top tube ie front section & rear section of outer casing.

But not at the lever as said above.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    kippy wrote:
    You will definitely need 2 ferrules if the frame has a split top tube ie front section & rear section of outer casing.

But not at the lever as said above.

Yes - the Campag tech manual says that they don't supply brake outer ferrules if the outer has to be cut for the bosses on the top tube.

You don't need the ferrules on the ergos or the brake calipers as they have them, effectively, built in.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Thanks for all the brilliant replies. Getting to understand it a lot better now.

I dont have internal routing, so I think I will just get two of them and fit them.

Thanks again
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012