greenwich foot tunnel

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi guys.

Anyone know if this is open and can I take the bike through it? I have a vague memory of a thread about it being shut, or the lifts not working or something.....

cheers

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    It's open, no lifts though, so you have to carry bike up and down stairs.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • PBo
    Sketchley wrote:

cheers mate.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    PBo wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

cheers mate.
    You're not allowed to cycle through it either. With all of the hassle of carrying the bike up and down the stairs and then pushing it through the tunnel, you may as well strap it to your back and swim across the Thames!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

You're not allowed to cycle through it either.

However, except when it's rammed with tourists at the weekend, you do see plenty of people riding through it. It's like any situation where you decide to bend the rules a bit: be considerate and go slowly.

The lifts are being worked on at the moment. I guess they want them working for the Olympics.

For a more thrilling alternative, there's the Rotherhithe Tunnel. According to Rob Ainsley only 20 pedestrians a day use it, so you're pretty safe on the footpath.
    John Stevenson
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    "If my legs aren't moving, am I really cycling".
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    You've also got the ferry though clearly not as fast.
  • You've also got the ferry though clearly not as fast.

Or as free.
    John Stevenson
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Actually, the Woolwich ferry is free. But it's in Woolwich not Greenwich.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Actually, the Woolwich ferry is free. But it's in Woolwich not Greenwich.

as is the Woolwich Foot Tunnel
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Only used the tunnel once, the lifts were out so I had to shoulder the bike up the stairs, having to stop at the wider points so the tourists to get by was a pain, never used it again.
  • sketchley
    Other alternatives are the Hilton ferry or London overground between canada water and whatever station is north of river. Both cost but if memory serve overground is cheaper, you can use it in rush hour as well, providing there is space.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    On another note, just noticed south side tower of the cable car is up. Wonder if they'll allow bike on that.

Also there is planned new crossing coming in the east the mayor is looking for options. I'd opt for a bridge with trike lanes. Must get round to emailing that...
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    On another note, just noticed south side tower of the cable car is up. Wonder if they'll allow bike on that.
    When it was announced some months back, the report on the BBC News site said pedestrians only/no bikes.
  • That said, I can't find that article now, just a 2010 Guardian one which implies strongly that bikes were part of the specification ...? [perhaps I'm getting senile]
  • sketchley
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/project ... 15961.aspx

"An accessible and bike-friendly service"

Who would like to bet that it more expensive than the clipper service or the hilton ferry!
    --
    Chris

• PBo
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

cheers mate.
    You're not allowed to cycle through it either. With all of the hassle of carrying the bike up and down the stairs and then pushing it through the tunnel, you may as well strap it to your back and swim across the Thames!

Funnily, I set off about 8.30, (therefore couldn't check the forum) and discovered exactly what you just said maybe 10 minutes after you posted...http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/76195246

....needless to say came home via London bridge. O2 was freezing, so my gear was still a bit damp when i put it back on....

So after a 36 mile round trip, now lying on the sofa trying to stay awake.....