Swap Avid BB5s for Tektro Aurigas?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
The lad has BB5s on his Spesh P1, for cable discs they are superb, however he dislikes having to adjust them frequantly to keep the feel how he wants it and would like to go Hydraulic, a mate has offered him some Tektro Aurigas as a straight swap, should he go for it? He has a chance to try them with no commitment to buy (so we make sure they are working OK), but thought I'd get the forum's opinion, I know the Auriga's aren't the best, but they are a shed load lighter than the BB5s!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    They work fine for me though I'm not overly heavy - 70kg. Can't comment on bleeding etc as I've never had to but they are easy enough to set up. I have noticed they don't have much bite however they do a grand job of stopping me so I wont complain
  • The Rookie
    OK thanks, we'll probably pop the front on (easy swap) for a tryout, if that is Ok we'll do the rear, for the Lad and he's about 65Kg.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Which Aurigas are they? I've got a set of Comps and tbh I was pretty disappointed when I replaced them with a set of old XT M775s, I'd expected it to be a big upgrade but the Tektros turned out to be a lot closer than I thought.

But BB5s are good brakes too. If it's just the adjustment that's a bother then it'll probably work out well
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    They are base Auriga's (not comps) off a Carrera BansheeX, we fitted the fronts but the pads were obviosuly contaminated (lever weighted up fine, just little in the way of friction!) so we've degreased them, baked them and sanded them but by then it was too dark to fit and try them again! The brakes work well physically, return easily, come out and stay out fine, so nothing obviously wrong with anything.

Simon