hello all!

sharpo88
sharpo88 Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I am new to this forum as you all may of noticed. I am an avid mountain biker, located in Scotland, but more to the point I am currently studying product design at Glasgow Caledonian university, I am in my final year and for my honours project I am designing a mountain bike, And was wondering if you kind and gracious people would fill out a short questionnaire to aid me in this endeavour. Don't worry it is only 7 questions long!

Questionnaire

1. What would you class your riding style as? Freeride, XC downhill etc

2. When you think about past trips what images does it conjure?

3. What does riding your bike mean to you?

4. What bike or bikes are you riding at the moment?

5. Would you consider a bike that takes it back to basics, strong hardtail, with no bells and whistles and is all about having fun?

6. If yes why is this appealing?

7. If no why is this of putting?

8. How much would you pay for a hardtail frame like this?

Thanks a lot! I will post up some pics of the final design once finished for your critique!

Chris :wink:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Always makes me wonder when I see the questions what you are actually going to gain, but guess that is down to you lol. Anyway...

1. What would you class your riding style as? Freeride, XC downhill etc.
    Mainly cross country, bit of commuting, and that All Mountain stuff.

Trips? Need to be more specific.

Fitness, enjoyment.

4. 4. What bike or bikes are you riding at the moment?
    Mainly a custom GT Zaskar Carbon Team.

5. 5. Would you consider a bike that takes it back to basics, strong hardtail, with no bells and whistles and is all about having fun?
    Leading question. Why is a rigid hardtail more fun? In a word, no.

Front suspension is more comfortable and lets me ride harder for longer, for most of the riding I do. Can't always say the same about rear sus, but definitely front.

Bike or frame? Hardtails imply front suspension, and any rigid frame can be fit with front suspension! Aluminium, £200 max. Steel, wouldn't even bother. Carbon, £400.
  • sharpo88
    Thanks for your answers! :) The purpose of the questions is to build a user profile, to see if what I am thinking will be accepted by the market, and what genre of mountain biking it will fit into or of it will create a new one, but judging by its past the style of riding comes first and products are developed around this!

Thanks!
  • You need to get on Survey Monkey or similar - get it hosted online so you don't have to trawl through threads collating info.
    But here are your answers...

XC - long hikes (40+ miles). Or short 2 hour blasts along cross-country trails.
    Mud, lots of mud
    The ability to get away with friends. Some peace and quiet away from screaming kids. Getting out in the open, miles from civilisation.
    Cube Race SL, an old Felt Virtue.
    5. Would you consider a bike that takes it back to basics, strong hardtail, with no bells and whistles and is all about having fun?
    I need front sus. Or is that what you consider the norm? (I do - I would never consider rigid front forks.)
    Depends on what you see as back to basics. I have a bmx - that is back to basics. I'll stick with my bmx for a bit of stripped down biking.
    I need a decent front fork. I would never be able to finish a ride without it.
    Up to £400
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1. What would you class your riding style as? Freeride, XC downhill etc - pretty rubbish style really.

2. When you think about past trips what images does it conjure? - at my age I'm lucky if I remember what I had for breakfast.

3. What does riding your bike mean to you? - in a zen like way?

4. What bike or bikes are you riding at the moment? - office chair with 5 wheels.

5. Would you consider a bike that takes it back to basics, strong hardtail, with no bells and whistles and is all about having fun? why I have fun on my full suss with some bells and whistles.

6. If yes why is this appealing? - I give up. Why?

7. If no why is this of putting? The same reason I don't wear hair shirts.

8. How much would you pay for a hardtail frame like this? - A bazillion gazillion pounds - always worth paying for new fresh ideas. No wait - £35, as it's been done by plenty of people.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1. What would you class your riding style as? Freeride, XC downhill etc
    XC / Free-ride / Downhill

Beautiful scenery, flowing trails, sunny, dusty, edge of grip / skill / on the edge. (The Alpes)

Fitness, freedom, escapism, stress relieving, fun, social

Ibis Mojo HD, Intense Uzzi, Trek Road bike

No, my back is shot, I need full suspension, hardtails don't appeal to me in the slightest

N/A

Uncomfortable, painful, not suitable for my style of riding

I would never buy a hard tail in any form, regardless of price
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572

XC with a bit of tame downhill thrown in

A nice flowy peice of singletrack

Having fun, challenging myself and just getting out there

Orange 5 Diva and Kona Minxy

No!

It's not appealing....

I like having a comfy bike with all the bells and whistles. I accept that other people like the challenge of riding other stuff, but for me I like having good full suspension and all the other fancy bits - it means that I can ride for longer and gives me the confidence to tackle the tricky bits.

Sorry but I wouldn't :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • NJG01
    NJG01 Posts: 13
    XC / Trail I guess.

Fun, freedom, fantastic views, and wishing I could be out there making more memories.

Erm doesnt really 'mean' anything in a deep and philosophical way, I ride for the sheer fun of it.

Cannondale SL3 hardtail.

See above. Already ride HT.

... Would rather have a FS bike, so guess thats a no.

Its not. I do it anyway.

Would I really spend more money on another HT rather than saving for a FS?

As has been said, you should stick this on Survey Monkey and post the link everywhere. (facebook, your university email - get your dept. to send it round, twitter if you have it, on here, on PinkBike etc. etc.) You *should* gets loads more replies in a quicker, easier to gather method.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    XC, AM (I would class XC and AM as the same thing anyway, if you do it right), DH, I enjoy it all

Having fun on the bike and with friends.

Freedom, being able to get away from some of the crap life throws up, having a laugh with some good friends.

Rocky Mountain Slayer, Orange 223.

Yes

Low maintenance, Fun.

Around the £300 mark
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    1) XC through to DH, BMX stuffs.
    2) Fun times, nice views, lots of cake and tea.
    3) It's what I look forward to most of all. Drives me crazy being away from them.
    4) BMX, XC hardtail, 160mm heavy duty hardtail
    5) Yes, I have one.
    6) Loads of fun, simple, easy and rewarding to ride.
    7)
    8) Depends, upto £350-£400 potentially, at the same time my last frame only cost me £170ish and it does all I want.
  • sharpo88 wrote:
    I am new to this forum as you all may of noticed. I am an avid mountain biker, located in Scotland, but more to the point I am currently studying product design at Glasgow Caledonian university, I am in my final year and for my honours project I am designing a mountain bike, And was wondering if you kind and gracious people would fill out a short questionnaire to aid me in this endeavour. Don't worry it is only 7 questions long!

Questionnaire

XC, Trail centres, day trips over the local Malverns, and the odd downhill sections I have the balls to go down on said trips.

Freedom, views, a laugh with your friends, and great fun barreling down hills and tech sections.

Well it's a hobby, so getting away from life/work etc... It's just pure enjoyment.

Cube Hardtail which I've spent a tad too much on...

I'm on a hardtail, but I like the Bells and Whistles, sure I could function without, but you feel better when you do have them, and I don't have any less fun with said Bells.

It was my first proper MTB to get my skills on, in hindsight it would have been better to save all the cash spent on upgrades, and wack them into a full susser. I do love my hardtail though, and I guess it does suit my day trips better...

7. If no why is this off putting?
    Well when you've put so much time into your ride, why would you willingly want to go back?

I would have to be given it as a present so I have to ride it!

Thanks a lot! I will post up some pics of the final design once finished for your critique!

Answers in Pink!
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    sharpo88 wrote:

Questionnaire

Probably XC

Like surfing but without the getting wet and 5 hour drive to find out it's flat

The main thing I do for fun and fitness, a lot but there's stuff that comes first (wife, family etc)

Commuter is a Cube Curve, off road Giant Anthem X4

I'd think about it but ultimately would decide against it

I like simplicity

I only have time to ride one bike really and the best choice is always going to be the one that allows me to go fastest and flatters my riding best, this will always be a full suss.

N/A

Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    sharpo88 wrote:
    Questionnaire

Predominantly off-road.

Huh? - Mud, sweat and beers.

Pedalling + more than I could hope to express.

I'm sat at a computer at the moment.

I often ride a steel rigid frame. Love the simplicity of it. Full sus is fun also.

Because it isn't sitting at a computer being underwhelmed by questionnaires.

Despite underwhelming questionnaire I have a big soundsystem playing good music and a cup of green tea.

Nothing. I already have one.

Glad to be of assistance.

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Another set of poor questions from someone at Uni and then they wonder why we're not going to subsidise the fees (or not as much) anymore.
  • sharpo88
    thank you for all who answered constructively, for those of you who have nothing of value to add don't waste your precious time posting. As for fees? I am at uni in Scotland, fees are of no issue to me, and soon enough I will be paying tax to fund someone else going to uni, so keep your pointless opinions to yourself thank you.

but again thanks for those of you who answered. please continue to answer if you would like to.

chris
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Briggo wrote:
    Another set of poor questions from someone at Uni and then they wonder why we're not going to subsidise the fees (or not as much) anymore.
    You got some sand in your vagina there?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I'm not a massive fan of the labels, I like to just ride my bike. However; a marketing man would probably classify most of my riding as XC/Trail (and too slow :wink: )

Good times with good mates.

Fun, a release from the tedious, transport.

Rigid on-one 29er and a Commencal Meta 4x

Yup, i think my hippie bike sums that all up really.

Far less to go wrong and puts an greater emphasis on ability to pick lines and negotiate obstacles.

Probably less than £300, decent strong (hard-core) hardtails such as the NS Surge, Identiti Mr Hyde and the Carbon 456 can be had for around this price so I don't see much point in paying more.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity