Post Mount to IS adapter woes....

wowtaylor
wowtaylor Posts: 75
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys, may I pick your brains once more. I have just bought some forks that have a Post Mount fitting but my calipers are I.S. I have been looking on Ebay and there is a vast amount to choose from but I'm unsure which is the right one. My caliper is 160mm if that information is needed.
Cheers.

Comments

• snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Does the caliper not bolt straight onto the forks if you remove your IS mount?

What caliper is it?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As above. More info needed.

You may need to get a bigger disc but who knows.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pics....... Especially of the calliper
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wowtaylor
    My calliper is Formula B4 and there are no adapters fitted to it at all just bog standard normal IS mount.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Most adaptors are made for the other way around, ie post mount caliper to IS fork, so won't work, you have to be a bit careful here.

I think you need:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13735

Disclaimers... You might need a new (bigger) disk to fit with this. It also might not even fit your calliper.
  • nicklouse
    Hope do one but you will need a 20mm bigger disc. Or KCNC do one that will allow you to run a 165mm disc. See Cleese cycles.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Wowtaylor - it's not the caliper that's rated at 160mm. I'm assuming you meant that your rotor is 160mm.
    To add to what nicklouse and monkfinger have said, the KCNC adaptor can just about mount an IS caliper onto a PM fork, but it's very tight.
    Check a photo of mine on the following topic:
    viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12767007&p=16846955#p16846955
    I had to file away part of the adaptor so that it could fit against the fork leg lower, otherwise it stuck out too much. But even then I still had to change to a rotor that was 5mm larger in diameter, which meant getting an Avid G3. And I aslo found that the clearance between the top adaptor bolts was very tight, meaning you could hardly fit an allen key into the bolt (you can't see this on the photo as it's obscured by the brake hose end.
  • wowtaylor
    I have tried my best to get some pictures, sorry they're not great quality.
    http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 182948.jpg
    http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 182915.jpg
  • The Rookie
    BG2000 wrote:
    Wowtaylor - it's not the caliper that's rated at 160mm. I'm assuming you meant that your rotor is 160mm.
    As the calliper is IS mount it will be sized for a particular size of disc when mounted to the frame/forks IS tabs....standard is 140mm rear, 160mm front although Hayes so1e (as an example) are 160mm/180mm on the intergral IS mount versions.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:
    Hope do one but you will need a 20mm bigger disc. Or KCNC do one that will allow you to run a 165mm disc. See Cleese cycles.
    as above.
  • mrmonkfinger
    As the calliper is IS mount it will be sized for a particular size of disc when mounted to the frame/forks IS tabs....standard is 140mm rear, 160mm front although Hayes so1e (as an example) are 160mm/180mm on the intergral IS mount versions.

Simon

I had Hayes so1e IS mount front and rear, were both 160mm??
  • The Rookie
    So either different callipers or non stnd rear frame mount! Both sets of So1es I've seen had an itegrel IS mount on the rear and a normal PM/IS adapter on the front.
  • nicklouse
    So either different callipers or non stnd rear frame mount! Both sets of So1es I've seen had an itegrel IS mount on the rear and a normal PM/IS adapter on the front.
    yep the sole came with 3 different mounts. the OE were IS and 160mm front and rear. and there was a post mount.
  • The Rookie
    Checked photo's both were OE sets, IS rear and with adaptor PM front, check Merida sub 60review on here for photo's......
  • mrmonkfinger
    nicklouse wrote:
    yep the sole came with 3 different mounts. the OE were IS and 160mm front and rear. and there was a post mount.

Figures. Mine were OE - on a 2006 (?) scott frame.
  • wowtaylor
    I have found an adapter for it but you're right about me needing a bigger rotor. If this adapter doesn't work I'm gonna make my own with a bit of aluminium billet.