Blue Loctite, Really!??

Bikerguy15
Bikerguy15 Posts: 119
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So I'm getting my bike done for a respray and need to take the bearings out.

I managed to get the bearings out eventually but the first problem I had was with the bolt on the Horst pivots. I couldn't possibly get them out without using a screw extractor. It even reached the bottom of the removal tool before it started to move.

I was left thinking "what's the point". If I'm going too need to remove the bolt for servicing then why the hell use blue loctite??

Comments

• baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Boil the kettle next time and pour that on the bolt first or a heat gun and they will come out easyer, the blue locktite bike companys use is suposed to be disassymbled fairly easily i have only ever had a problen with one and the kettle of boiling water sorted that, however bike companys are damed either way would you prefer they fell out in the middle of nowhere.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Mine always came white loctited, very easy to undo and never came loose. No idea what the colours mean, if anything btw
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So you rounded th heads of the bolts and are blaming the thread lock?

Mmmmm sounds like you tools are worn or just poor.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Blue is medium strength, should release without much effort. red is high strength ,you need heat to release. White is low strength.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Bikerguy15 wrote:
    So I'm getting my bike done for a respray and need to take the bearings out.

I managed to get the bearings out eventually but the first problem I had was with the bolt on the Horst pivots. I couldn't possibly get them out without using a screw extractor. It even reached the bottom of the removal tool before it started to move.

I was left thinking "what's the point". If I'm going too need to remove the bolt for servicing then why the hell use blue loctite??
    I guess that you never had experienced the "loose suspension linkage bolts" syndrome... It's also, the reason why there is loctite and why you haven't experienced the aforementioned syndrome. :D
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Bikerguy15
    Bikerguy15 Posts: 119
    Mine always came white loctited, very easy to undo and never came loose. No idea what the colours mean, if anything btw

White would make much more sense.
    nicklouse wrote:
    So you rounded th heads of the bolts and are blaming the thread lock?

Mmmmm sounds like you tools are worn or just poor.

If that was the case then the screw extractor should have undone the bolts way before it reached the bottom of the tool. I mean, I had to use an impact driver with it for gods sake. I did try several different hex tools before so it's less than likely but I wont rule out the possibility.
    386ka wrote:
    I guess that you never had experienced the "loose suspension linkage bolts" syndrome... It's also, the reason why there is loctite and why you haven't experienced the aforementioned syndrome. :D

I could understand it being used on main pivot & large linkage bolts but for the horst link it seems a little excessive.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Sounds like you haven't been maintaining your bike properly. I've managed to remove plenty of bolts with blue loctite on them without damaging them.
    And yes, blue loctite, really. It stops your linkage/other parts of your bike falling apart while you're riding god knows how many miles away from home/your car.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5