Tubeless downhill tyres?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 60,785
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for some options for DH tyres that come in tubeless spec.

The idea is that I stick these on the Spicy when I'm doing stuff like Cwmcarn or FoD and change back to my normal all-rounders for trail work. The wheels on the bike are Easton Havens - fully UST compatible (no messing around with sealant etc).

What are my options?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• I use 2.5 Maxxis Minions and 2.5 Maxxis High Roller UST Super Tacky's in the Alps, at Cwmcarn, I used Maxxis Crossmark UST's 2.25... But it wasn't muddy...
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks - probably should have said that I'm not looking for mud specific DH tyres.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    hmm - My post didnt post. Drat.

I've used 2.5 ST minions on my spicy - Great going down, heavy up. Have compromised and used a minion up front and a conti RQ out back which worked well for a day out at cwmcarn (bit of extra pushing going round the XC trail but rewarded when playing on the DH later) - not a bad combo. Miion is an awesomly grippy alround tyre.

Also I've got a conti Baron 2.3 UST black chilli on my to try list. Lots of rave reviews, lots of people ditching their HR 2.3s for these apparently - fantastic in the wet but good alround tyres. Was going to pair one up front with my ever trusty RQ out back. I find conti UST tyres very durable for the weight, only 1 rip ever (in 3 years) and 1 pinch and I dont run sealant cos I'm allergic to the latec :( .
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Conti UST downhill seem to have a good rep... You can seal up standard Maxxis dualplies without too much bother though. Likewise Specialized- and their Clutch is excellent (similiar to but better'n a Minion IMO).

Buuuut, my dh bike is the only one of mine that isn't tubeless, because I change tyres on it too often to be bothered with it. (it has tubeless-ready wheels on it). DH tyres get more asked of them and with booking uplifts and races in advance I find I'm more likely to want to swap than with other bikes where I can choose the weather a bit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    Tom Barton wrote:
    I've used 2.5 ST minions on my spicy - Great going down, heavy up. Have compromised and used a minion up front and a conti RQ out back which worked well for a day out at cwmcarn (bit of extra pushing going round the XC trail but rewarded when playing on the DH later) - not a bad combo. Miion is an awesomly grippy alround tyre.
    Tom, sounds like the Minions could be a good one to try as you're running them on the same bike as mine. I'm not too worried about weight as I'll be doing uplifts not pushing :-). Also I am currently running 2.2 UST RQ's F&R, so a mix and match could be worth a go as well.

Presumably you have no tyre clearance issues with the 2.5 Minions on a Spicy?
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 UST?
  • Tom Barton
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Tom, sounds like the Minions could be a good one to try as you're running them on the same bike as mine. I'm not too worried about weight as I'll be doing uplifts not pushing :-). Also I am currently running 2.2 UST RQ's F&R, so a mix and match could be worth a go as well.

Presumably you have no tyre clearance issues with the 2.5 Minions on a Spicy?

Nope - the Minions, loadza room under the 36 and acceptable clearance out back - like their 2.3 minions and HR siblings they look narrower than what they are.

@Mccraque - I found the 2.4 RQ fantastic for smashing through rock gardens and on smoother more polished tracks all day long but didnt have the cornering bite I wanted to inspire that little extra confidence esp in variable terrain where it may get muddy/loose intermittantly. Minions are great in the corners. HRs and minions tend to be a bit of taste with riders, dont like getting the HRs onto their sides, feels a bit odd so its minions for me.
  • Stevo_666
    Mccraque wrote:
    Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 UST?
    I'm already using the 2.2's so not sure what difference the 2.4's would make apart from some extra cushioning?
  • Tom Barton
    Pretty much Steve yeah. Like I said, they make rock gardens disappear but considering their immense size they offer little improvement in grip in other situations, plus they weight 300+g more per tyre and they are inconceivably huge, only just fit under a Fox 36! Raises the BB height and makes the bike feel a bit higher!

Personally the 2.2s do the job and there are better gripper front tyres out there for lunacy.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    not tubeless but i have been running minions on my hardtail for over a year now left them on through winter to see how they would fare and to be honest i aint had any issues with grip at all..
    i run ardents on the fs thats the bike i take to whistler for dh/park duties ardents have been fine over the last 2 years i been running them..
  • Northwind
    Aye, the 2.4's a fair bit better in a straight line but still a bit substandard when leaned over. Not a bad trailbike tyre at all, but I wouldn't put one on a gravity bike.

Specialized Clutch SX is allegedly tubeless ready... It's basically a lightweight dh tyre, has similiar compounds to the Clutch DH but in a folding, reinforced singleply instead of a wired dualply. I really rate them, they're faster than Minion STs and are pretty competitive- they maybe lose traction just a little earlier but they do it in a much nicer way. My summer dh tyre- but then I'm light on my wheels, some folks might need the strength of the dualply (which I've not used so can't comment on)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    Northwind wrote:
    Specialized Clutch SX is allegedly tubeless ready... It's basically a lightweight dh tyre, has similiar compounds to the Clutch DH but in a folding, reinforced singleply instead of a wired dualply. I really rate them, they're faster than Minion STs and are pretty competitive- they maybe lose traction just a little earlier but they do it in a much nicer way. My summer dh tyre- but then I'm light on my wheels, some folks might need the strength of the dualply (which I've not used so can't comment on)
    Thanks Northwind - will have to check up about the tubeless ready point as a quick google doesn't show anything up either way. (Thicky question - if they are 'tubeless ready' rather than full UST, would I still have to use sealant to get them to work on tubeless rims?)
  • Northwind
    Yup. But then you'd probably want to use sealant with dh tyres anyway.

I found they mounted and sealed exactly like a tubeless ready tyre, and the sidewalls feel like a tougher version of my 2bliss Eskars, but I don't think Specialized market them as specifically tubeless ready.
    Uncompromising extremist