Mountain Bike or Hybrid

Dannyboy95
Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
edited March 2012 in The workshop
At the moment I currently own 2 bikes one being a Giant ROAM 3 and the other being a TREK 5400. At the moment i'm using my TREK to get to work as I find it easier to cycle up hill as the gear ratios are much better I may be slower going up hill but it is much easier. But here is my question should I totally kit my mountain bike out for street use or spend a little bit more and get a light Hybrid.
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    just by some road tyres for the mountain bike thats what I did and cost me next to nothing think they were about £20 for the set, much cheaper than buying a new bike
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • keep the mtb and get some 1.25 panaracers or 1.5 swalbe city jets- these get my vote grippy, fast and 2 years no punctures :D ... touch wood
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    CX bike, obviously!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    New bike obviously!

Easier than getting a job at the bottom of the hill, moving house to the top of the hill or developing Hoy's legs :D

more boring but, probably change the tyres on the MTB and get fitter/loose some weight
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sort the gearing on the roam to suite your usage and keep the trek for real cyling!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • A hybrid will generally come with a 28/38/48t chainset an mtb with 22/32/44t, most of my customers riding MTB as commuters wear out rear cassettes often on the basis that they spend the majority of time in the small cogs which obviously wear quicker. you need a gear range that can suit up, down and flat to create even wear

The wheel size of a hybrid will also aid in getting from a to b being that it is bigger
    WeFixAnyBike
    Mobile Bike Repairs
    http://www.wefixanybike.com