Certificate to start bike insurance

davebc
davebc Posts: 17
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, I phoned up 2 insurers and both said if I own a custom bike, I need to get a valuation certificate. The polices are both new for old, but my bike's bits you can't buy new.
It's a giant SCR 3.0 frame, with deda stem and handlebars, I upgrade the sora groupset to an ultegra groupset, and the wheels are an old set of ZIPP 440 Tubulars. I haven't kept track of how much I've spent, and the wheels I found in my garage (Once were my late fathers).

What sort of value should this be insured for? (On a new for old policy) And it'd be on a separate bicycle insurance policy rather than house contents because I do not have contents (Live with other people - they won't put it on their policy even if I pay difference)

Thanks

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Dunno

But I insure through my house contents with Marks and Spencer - any item £4k - not expensive either.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    This is the most expensive way of insuring a bike - premiums will be 10% of the insured value and just because you think it's worth a lot doesn't necessarily mean the insurance company thinks the same. Secondhand bikes are worth half what you paid for them new.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..