Upgrading groupset - do now or wait for 2013 kit?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at upgrading my front and rear mechs along with the shifters. I currently have LX front mech and shifters (both about 7 years old), and an XTR rear mech that is about 4-5 years old.

I bought a 2011 SLX crank and chanrings about a year ago, so they seem fine.

Ideally, my budget is no more than £200-300 as I also have to get a new chain & gear cables.

Looking at SLX as you seem to get the best bang for buck (XTR is out of my price range unfortunately and XT probably is as well).

I've seen the info about the new 2013 kit coming out soon (may ish), so wondered if it would be best holding out for that or getting 2012 stuff?

In terms of the rear mech, I'm running 22-32-44 up front and 11-32 on the rear - am I right in saying that I would need a long cage for that setup?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does the stuff you have not work? I'd be keeping the XTR rear mech!
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    It seems they don't work as well as they used to (which is understandable for age).

How can you tell if your front and rear mech are worn to the point of needing replacements?
    I'm assuming that the front mech and shifters are worn as they've been on the bike for 7 or 8 years.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    starbuck wrote:
    It seems they don't work as well as they used to (which is understandable for age).

How can you tell if your front and rear mech are worn to the point of needing replacements?
    I'm assuming that the front mech and shifters are worn as they've been on the bike for 7 or 8 years.

If the cables are all fine, everything is true and the gears setup correctly with no jumping or slow shifting then it'll be fine. It's quite amazing just how old some of the bikes are on the trails and being ridden constantly
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    I got a mix of XTR/XT on my old hard tail & its 10 years old, as long as you keep it clean and maintained no reason the replace it.

If you serious about it though your best bet is to wait till the 2013 kit is out then by some new 2012 kit as there will be loads of shops trying to rid themselves of stock to make way for the new kit.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.