Changing link in chain

jndb72
jndb72 Posts: 629
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon,

Is it possible to change a single link in a chain? The chain in question is an Shimano XT HG94 10 Speed. When cleaning the bike this afternoon I noticed one of the plates on one of the links has snapped off. If possible I'd just like to buy a new link and fit it to the existing chain. Chain is only around a month old so I don't really want to replace the whole thing. Also, what tools would I require?

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I'm a noob to all this maintenance stuff. I'm basically fed up of paying the LBS to do stuff that I should be doing myself (within reason).

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

J
2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Yeah, just get a quick link, pop it off with your chain tool and put the quick link on instead.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    wouldnt it be covered under the Manufacturer Warranty if its only a month old?
  • jndb72
    Not sure, It got fitted by a well know (in my area) LBS.
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• jndb72
    DesWeller wrote:
    Yeah, just get a quick link, pop it off with your chain tool and put the quick link on instead.

Just being doing some googling. Is a quicklink the same as a powerlink?

Thanks

J
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Um, I think the Powerlinks are SRAM's one-use-only links. If you can find a link that you can remove (e.g. KMC or Connex) then that'll be a bit more useful.

I'm not sure if MTB 10-speed chains are a different breadth to road 10-speed; if they are then you can get the KMC links on eBay for a more competitive price than the big online retailers. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm/refute?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jndb72
    Would something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25439 work as a replacement link?

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Yes get the Shimano ones. The Campag wont fit a MTB chain.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    you need a chain tool, and you may need to take two links out, to be able to use the quick links. i.e. you can't use the quick link going through a side plate.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • jndb72
    Ok, getting confused now. I thought I might need a chain tool, can anyone reccommend one for this job. Why would I need to take out 2 links, could I not just take out the broken link and replace it with a new one?

Thanks for your input so far.

Cheers

J
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Any chain tool will do. My favourite is the Parktools Mini Brute. Tiny enough to carry around, good enough to break any chain.
    You could just replace a link, but often makes a weak spot - a masterlink by whatever name is more secure and does a better job.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    You dont need to remove 2 links that would make the chain too short. To use a master link you remove the outer plates to leave 2 male ends

chain-innerouter.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • jndb72
    cooldad wrote:
    Any chain tool will do. My favourite is the Parktools Mini Brute. Tiny enough to carry around, good enough to break any chain.

Is this http://www.parktool.com/product/mini-chain-brute-chain-tool-ct-5 the one you mention?

Thanks
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• jndb72
    stubs wrote:
    You dont need to remove 2 links that would make the chain too short. To use a master link you remove the outer plates to leave 2 male ends

chain-innerouter.jpg

Is the new replacement link then used to rejoin the 2 male ends?

Thanks
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• stubs
    jndb72 wrote:
    stubs wrote:

chain-innerouter.jpg

Is the new replacement link then used to rejoin the 2 male ends?

Thanks

Yes
  • It sure is.
  • jndb72
    Thanks lads. I'll order the bits tomorrow and give it a shot.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

J
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jndb72 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Is this http://www.parktool.com/product/mini-chain-brute-chain-tool-ct-5 the one you mention?

Thanks
    .That's the one. CRC normally have them for a decent price, or Ebay
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    stubs wrote:

chain-innerouter.jpg

that's what i meant, depending on where it's broke.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • jndb72
    Parts and tools arrived in the post this morning. 10 minutes of faffing about and I had a replacement link fitted. Took the bike for a quick spin and all seems good. Lucky I bought 2 replacement links because when trying to fit the first one I let the tension in the chain go and the link flew off into the garden, never to be seen again.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

J
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0