Ragley Piglet steering issue

twonks
twonks Posts: 352
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
After a few rides on my newly built up Piglet frame, I am on the whole very impressed.
However the steering seems to be rather floppy.
As mentioned on various threads by others with similar issues, it feels kind of heavy for say 20 degrees of motion either direction of centre, and then just flops over whilst going light.

The difference with mine seems to be that most people get it because they have long forks on an old frame, yet the Piglet is designed for 120mm forks and I have 2006 reba team air u-turns set at 115mm (Max)

The stem is 60mm and the seat post in line.

On the whole it feels good to ride, but the steering makes it feel like a bit of a barge in certain scenarios.

I want to put longer forks on when funds allowed as the Reba was supposed to be a stop gap only, but would going longer make it worse?

The frame is an 18". I am 5 foot 11" with short legs and a long torso, so reach is about right as it.

Any thoughts ?

photo.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Odd, as I tested one with 120mm forks and liked the handling, despite me usually heating slacker head angels! The steep seat angle gets your COG forward. What width bars?
  • twonks
    Hi SS,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The bars are 31.8 Raceface Ride low risers at 640mm wide.
    Are you thinking they may be too narrow?

Don't get me wrong, the bike isn't awful to ride - far from it, just in certain scenarios it feels odd.
    I can imagine it being a pain through the tight trials and switchbacks on a man made trail like Cannock, but out in the open moorland (my prefered riding) I probably wouldn't notice.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I rode a 685mm bar and it felt more balanced - it would be something to try.
  • twonks
    oops, I got it wrong. Have just measured instead of looking on the tinterweb, and they are 680mm not 640.

May still try a cheap set of 700mm+ bars and see if it helps.