Pro-Cyclists Speed

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
OK, I am aware that "average speed" is a useless measure due to the multiple variables involved, but...

For a top level (World Tour) Pro, what would be a "typical" racing speed for the following grades (in mph) assuming full speed ahead and not overly tired (and not sprinting / in an escape etc);

0% (flat)
2-3%
5%
7-8%
>10%

The reason I ask is that I spend a lot of time watching old TdF DVDs and it's almost impossible to gauge the speeds they are doing on the hills, and I would love to know.

I have looked at pro Garmin data, but as Garmin Connect isnt especially useful for this sort of data cross-referencing, I am finding it hard to extract an answer.

Please dont flame, and I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but please try and give an approximate answer based on the above criteria without too much melon twisting, please!

Comments

• Taylor Phinney's GPS data from Milan-San-Remo yesterday. http://app.strava.com/rides/5329389
    MTB HardTail: GT Aggressor XC2 '09
    Road Summer(s): Kuota Kharma '10
    Road Winter(w): Carrera Virtuoso '10
    Full Suspension: Trek Fuel Ex 8 '11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/130161
  • search for SKY on trainingpeaks.com They have Flecha's files from last years TdF. He has an FTP of 420W!!!!!!!

A good club rider is probably around 300. In the TTT he averaged 34mph and a cadence between 100-105 all the time.
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    All I know is that Pantani used to go up mountains faster than I could go down them.
  • Pantani rode up the Cols at mind boggling speed whilst in the drops.
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Wasn't he also drugged up to his eyeballs?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    For the last 20 years or so the average speed for the whole TDF has been about 25mph/40kmh. Stunning when you really think about it, over a distance of about 3500kmh (2170miles) and about 90 hours of riding and some seriously big mountains.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I dunno, how about 30, 25, 20, 15 and 10mph respectively. Keeps the numbers nice and round.
  • okgo wrote:
    Wasn't he also drugged up to his eyeballs?

You can't turn a donkey into a thoroughbred....on the juice or not.

I'll get my coat :shock:
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I dont see what the point of the question is.

How do you know the riders are on a 2% gradient ? I've never seen a sign warning of that.
    Wind makes more of a difference I think.

And its far easier to ride fast in a bunch - hence why the breakaways are usually caught if the bunch wants them to.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    In the 2005 TDF Lance won, he did the 2241miles in 86hr 15mins 2 sec...Averaging 25.882 mph !!

He may have been on the Sherbet though !! lol
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    My impression is that as a rule of thumb, your average pro is getting on for 50% faster / more powerful than your average well-trained club rider, maybe a bit less. So 20mph = 27-30mph, 275W = 400W etc.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    neeb wrote:
    My impression is that as a rule of thumb, your average pro is getting on for 50% faster / more powerful than your average well-trained club rider, maybe a bit less. So 20mph = 27-30mph, 275W = 400W etc.

• kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    but I think you seem not to notice the fact that pros ride with 200 pros around them for most of their ride and people like Armstrong had entire team dedicated to them. If any of you had at least 5 as strong as you friends that would push the pace in front of you, you would easily manage about 3-5mph more :)
  • okgo
    Depends on what they're good at too.

There's one pro on Strava who is slower up most of the Surrey Hills than one of my clubmates, he also averaged under 20 mph for a recent training ride he did. He's still one of the fastest riders out there on the UK scene and smashes TT records left right and center. So they're not always THAT much faster (50% above is probably right for average club rider, but a decent club rider will be a lot closer I reckon)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Garrans in the post race press conference after the Milan San Remo

“Without question Fabian was the strongest, he was going like a motorbike''

:twisted:
  • okgo
    haha, you know when a pro cyclist is struggling to hold anothers wheel (they say you save 30% drafting?) that FC is really a BEAST.
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    neeb wrote:

You cannot equate power AND speed like that as they are not directly proportional.

All else being equal to maintain twice the speed (on the flat) you would need to put in 8 times the power (it is a cube law). I agree that a true elite rider might be about 50% more powerful than a handy club rider. However their solo speeds would be much closer.

This relationship is why it is SO much more difficult to find the extra speed.
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    Double the speed requires eight times more power.
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i concur. the veyron needs 1000 hp to crack 240mph, but 120 can be done in an 140 bhp car. roughly 8 times power for 2 speed.
    i suppose pro average about 25 drafting thats probably 21-22 solo. most folks can probably crack 500w for a short burst quite easily.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    rake wrote:
    i concur. the veyron needs 1000 hp to crack 240mph, but 120 can be done in an 140 bhp car. roughly 8 times power for 2 speed.
    i suppose pro average about 25 drafting thats probably 21-22 solo. most folks can probably crack 500w for a short burst quite easily.

How much slower were you than Chris Hoy?
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Interesting read. Not heard of power/speed being a cube law but it's certainly something I'll remember :)
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    allegedly just under a second over 200m from static start. never saw him but his time was recorded to aim for supposedly, it was at a merida bike stall. im sceptical but i did top the scores.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    t5nel wrote:
    neeb wrote:

You cannot equate power AND speed like that as they are not directly proportional.

All else being equal to maintain twice the speed (on the flat) you would need to put in 8 times the power (it is a cube law). I agree that a true elite rider might be about 50% more powerful than a handy club rider. However their solo speeds would be much closer.

Yes, you're right of course for a flat route - 50% more powerful, but only 50% faster when drafting in the peloton as opposed to training solo.. :wink:

On a steep climb, however, solo speed will be much closer to 50% faster. One hour is a good time for Alpe d'Huez for a decent club rider, but a good pro climber can do it in 40mins.
    okgo wrote:
    There's one pro on Strava who is slower up most of the Surrey Hills than one of my clubmates, he also averaged under 20 mph for a recent training ride he did. He's still one of the fastest riders out there on the UK scene and smashes TT records left right and center. So they're not always THAT much faster (50% above is probably right for average club rider, but a decent club rider will be a lot closer I reckon)
    A lot of pro training is at fairly low intensity though, because they need to do so much of it to get a solid base fitness. Probably he could average a lot more than that if he wanted..
  • okgo
    http://app.strava.com/rides/5252645

I think he was trying, I agree he could go faster, though.
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    neeb wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    t5nel wrote:
    neeb wrote:

Yes, you're right of course for a flat route - 50% more powerful, but only 50% faster when drafting in the peloton as opposed to training solo.. :wink:

On a steep climb, however, solo speed will be much closer to 50% faster. One hour is a good time for Alpe d'Huez for a decent club rider, but a good pro climber can do it in 40mins.

Yes that makes more sense. Once the work that is being done by the cyclists 'watts' is more about adding potential energy through ascent then I would expect the speed difference (expressed in % terms) to increase between the two riders. Also I think your 50% faster aboves assumes a perfectly uniform peloton of negligible mass in a vacuum :P
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra