Coping with chronic pain

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
(intended to be catharsis, not a topic I'll actually post, but we'll see)

About 13 months ago I broke my back in a hilarious* cycling crash. I've apparently now got a crushed/misshapen T6 vertebra, though I don't know by how much it's out of whack; the impression I get is "not too far out, laddie".

Thing is, the bloody thing hurts. I usually have pain around my ribs that makes breathing a bit uncomfortable, and there's general back pain which starts around about 2pm depending on activity etc. Things like cooking (leaning over worktops), driving, or shifting heavy things around are more or less guaranteed to provoke it. The non-specific back pain level varies from "dull aching" -- I compare it to the kind of pain you have ~4 weeks after breaking a rib -- to "bugger this, I've had enough", with the occasional stabbing pain thrown in for seasoning. I can get some way towards coping with it with painkillers, both prescription (codydramol or co-codamol, generally) and *ahem* "other varieties", but it always seems to sit there, grinding away every single day.

I've tried Pilates (stopped on instructor's advice, but I'm quite likely to try again as I know my general form and posture is pretty kack now), and I'm just now going to weekly physio, but frankly progress is nil. I did go for some visceral manipulation (you pay some guy to poke you in the stomach, basically) which massively improved my ability to breathe comfortably; he believes that my stomach wasn't moving correctly within my chest cavity, which was preventing my lungs from moving properly -- I have no idea of the medical truth of this, but the guy made a phenomenal difference in 3 sessions compared to 4 months of no progress.

One thing that is magic is going to bed: I spent a good bike's worth on a mattress, and upon waking, I can sometimes forget about the back.

So then, any advice? I'm wondering about swimming as an option, but I truly and completely *loathe* going swimming with the public, and I can't see when I do go swimming (-8 prescription glasses; I swim like your nan!). For what it's worth, I've always been extremely flexible, and going to doctors generally prompts a reaction of "there's nothing wrong with you; you move better than most people of your age! (30)".

*: May not have been that funny, come to think of it.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Not much help, but these may help with your swimming..

http://www.myeyes.co.uk/acatalog/View_VPS-500A.html
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I can understand a small amount of your pain. Over 2 yrs ago I had a very minor incident at walking pace and have damaged the nerves in my shoulder. This manifests as numbness and loss of strength. Weekly or fortnightly physio makes it hurt more, with stabbing pains so bad I feel sick. The nhs has written me off as nothing wrong/that they are able or prepared to do. IBuprofen doesn't touch it. To top it all off, I now have a bad back through overcompensating with my good arm and twisting awkwardly. I make a point of riding upto 100miles a week, keeps the joint moving and me off disability benefit!
  • slowfen
    slowfen Posts: 312
    You need to discuss with you're GP about having a referral to a pain clinic, they speialise in dealing with chronic pain.
    you don't say what you do for a lving, but it could be worth getting occupational health involved, (but think carefully first)
    Hills? what are they
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Sorry to hear of your pain Davis.

I don't have a huge amount to offer I'm afraid, but I just wanted to say that, although I am immensely proud of our NHS, I have discovered through the troubles of loved ones that those who seem to be offered the best treatment are the ones who are prepared to be complete and utter pains in the arse. I don't mean whining, but continually pushing for the treatment you feel you deserve does seem to offer rewards. I think we Brits are a bit too good at accepting the advice of those we assume to be better and wiser than us. Although I'm sure our GPs do have our best interests at heart, we are still only individuals among hundreds of patients.

Also, if swimming makes you feel better then why not do it? If you don't like sharing a pool with the great unwashed then join a more exclusive club.

Have you thought about acupuncture for pain relief? It can be very effective. Do always go with a British Acupuncture Council registered practitioner, however.

Finally, when I was suffering horrendous back pain for a long period of time the single thing I feel made a huge difference was regular, careful muscle building exercise (essentially weight lifting). It helped reset the imbalance I had inadvertently created in my body and gave me the supportive bulk to take the pressure off those sensitive areas. I did try pilates also and did benefit from it.

Good luck!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Using the below people WORKS FOR ME I'm not advocating them as a panacea for all ills nor looking to spark a 'helmets save lives .... no they don't' style futile slanging match, just giving my personal experience of having suffered 2 cracked vertebrae in my neck and a world of pain and discomfort from them.

Find a decent chiropractor and build up a good relationship with them. yes they are expensive and it is a long term thing. I'm gutted that a recent hefty pay cut added to being in the middle of 5 years pay freeze has robbed me of money for little more than bills and food & forced me to stop my visits. I am back in far more pain than I would like to be, my arm is intermittently numb and constantly tingling, I am having more headaches & transferring pain down my spine in efforts to sit/stand/walk in such a way that my neck doesn't hurt. I'm back to my GP for plans B,C & D that don't involve hooking me on painkillers (been there - never again) and like my GP at the time of my accident this one is apologetic he cannot prescribe chiropractic for me.

Good luck to you whatever method you find works for you, as much as anything it is about finding a strong and positive mental attitude and reasons to take you through the bad days
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I've had chronic pain for over 3 years following my RTA. Initially it was in my shoulder as that's since been decompressed, but I have associated nerve damage and now Myofacial pain syndrone in my shoulder and back muscles (all on the affected side).

Key things like stretching and building muscle help, also getting through to a Pain Clinic. I've been on a number of 'nerve pain' drugs which while OK to start, as soon as you up the dose, then they affect your 'mind' - concentration/emotion goes etc etc. I've ditched those drugs as the side effects were not worth the pain relief. I've recently had 4 injections into trigger points in my back which helps.

I've not slept well since the accident with the pain, and co-codamol only just touches it. I've had some heavy doses of codine, especially after surgery and it's not pleasant.

One thing - go to the GP and see if they know of any CBT programmes for people dealing with long term conditions - I've just been on one and it's helped - it re-thinks your mind, as the problem with chronic pain is it's long term and doesn't go away.

As mention above - mental attitude helps, oh and the CBT training tells you not to try any do everything in one go - as it stops the pain getting worse - e.g. I no longer do hours of gardening, I'll do say an hour then pack in till the next week as it stops my shoulder/back flaring up.

For me the killer is sleep. I'm only just now getting better sleep (and we also spent a fortune on a bed too)
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    My wife has MS which has resulted in a total loss of use in her right leg,she is in a wheelchair when things are really bad but gets around on crutches in between relapses !! This puts a huge strain on her back,plus she suffers with Neuropathic pain in her legs.
    The best thing we did was to get a referral to a Pain Clinic ,they reviewed her meds and made her appointments for Physio and Accupuncture plus they actually listen to her !!!! They ring her every month for a catchup on her condition and book any necessary appointments. Hydrotherapy is next on the list !

She tells me that by far the best thing the Pain Clinic doctors do is to actually listen and realise that to be in constant pain has a huge mental effect too .

All the best !
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    The back pain sufferers club is a very large one :evil: the trick is to find something that makes it less worse. With me it was finding my limits and avoiding doing it (can't carry two bags of shopping) and doing stretching.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Thanks very much everyone. Frankly I wasn't doing very well on Saturday, which is why I posted; normally I can get away without drivelling away.

I think you (en masse) are correct when you suggest it's mostly about managing the pain and not provoking it, and developing the emotional fortitude to cope with the darker times. It's nice to know that there are other options (the pain clinic is one that never occurred to me) -- I suspect simply knowing they're there will help.

I'll think I'll give Pilates another go, and maybe swimming; I didn't think i could get goggles up to my prescription.

Anyway, thanks; I'm genuinely grateful to the responders.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.