Size and Keeping Front Wheel Down

2»

Comments

• simonp123
    simonp123 Posts: 490
    styxd wrote:
    It felt like I sat in the bike rather than on it

And thats a negative? From what you read in magazines/on forums, most people prefer to feel sat "in" the bike rather than "on" it.

For me it was yes. The bike felt like it was directing me around rather than than me directing it.
    Maybe it is a phrasing difference, I presume they mean they prefer to feel part of the bike, wheres I felt like I was part of it. It felt like I was sat in it reaching up to the bars.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I don't. I like to be high on the bike.

Theres a time and a place for that, and I dont think its on the bike.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    styxd wrote:
    I don't. I like to be high on the bike.

Theres a time and a place for that, and I dont think its on the bike.
    Trust me, it makes the tricky trails easy :wink:
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    simonp123 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    It felt like I sat in the bike rather than on it

And thats a negative? From what you read in magazines/on forums, most people prefer to feel sat "in" the bike rather than "on" it.

For me it was yes. The bike felt like it was directing me around rather than than me directing it.
    Maybe it is a phrasing difference, I presume they mean they prefer to feel part of the bike, wheres I felt like I was part of it. It felt like I was sat in it reaching up to the bars.

I feel like that on my reign and it feels good but when im on the jump bike I feel like im on it, not in it, which again feels good.

I guess its what you get used to riding.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Impossible to say really whether a larger frame would stop the front wheel lifting, you have a longer front centre so the bikes weight is further forward, the bars are further from the saddle so should move the rider weight forward, and you have a taller head tube which will have the opposite effect.

However I would say that as the OP is unlikely to be 'much' to big for a medium then it sounds more like a 'technique' (riding position mostly) issue than a bike one, mind you I often climb on my HT with the front wheel only paying passing aquaintance with planet earth as round here a lot of them are slippery at this time of year and it keeps as much weight as possible on the back wheel for traction.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    I had a chat with the guy in the shop yesterday and have now sorted this issue out, at least to my own satisfaction. Where I was going wrong was in thinking too much about how the weight distribution of the bike would change when, of course, the rider weighs a lot more than the bike. So, anything that brings the rider's weight forward (relative to the rear axle) will tend to keep the front wheel down. That could be a longer top tube, a longer stem, less spacers under the stem, longer chain stays, steeper seat tube, or even those attachments (which seem to have gone out of fashion for reasons that I don't fully understand), bar ends.

Obviously, as many people have pointed out, you can achieve the same effect by shifting your weight around, but at the moment just trying to understand how the dimensions and geometry of the bike affect the way it handles.

Cheers,

Andy