Cracked up Michelin Pro 3

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Just did a routine check on tyres, a set of Mich Pro 3 <1000 mile use, bought last year , used in summer, stored cool place in winter.

I was really really surprised :shock: to see that onn treads of both F&R tyres a network of deep cracks and splits :(:(

NEVER ever before have I seen this on any tyre; the Pro 3 were stored at a lowish pressure, 40 psi too.

Has anyone seen this with same tyre type? It has really set back my confidence in what otherwise were very good tyres; both are now staright into bin too as I do not trust their integrity one little bit :(:(

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I had my bike from the LBS recently and they'd fitted new tyres (gratis) without me asking as both my Pro 3s were apparently badly cut up & split. As I didn't see them I can't be sure how bad they were, but I'm not complaining. They'd looked ok when I'd last checked them.

I've used this sort of tyre for a while with no issues though. These had about 4000 commuter miles in them. Would I use them again. Yeah no problem.
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    JamesB

Perhaps you had ridden through some muck (off the fields) or oil and not washed them off?

CiB

Gratis you say? Yet to you they were ok? If they put Pro3 back on then why didn't they keep the olds to show you how good they were at spotting something you hadn't, but then let themselves down by not phoning you first?

I've just got of the chair and checked mine with the magnifying glass (bike hangs nearby), and the rear has some cracks where the grey tread joins the black sidwalls, but it not been overinflated, nor am I overweight. Perhaps this is why Mich now do a Pro4? Now, where's that catalogue gone?

PS. Don't get on my wheel - I've got a dodgy rear!
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • JamesB
    checked mine with the magnifying glass (bike hangs nearby), and the rear has some cracks where the grey tread joins the black sidwalls,

the cracking in mine was sections, particularly on rear, across whole of light grey centre tread sections, many parallel cracks deep into tread along with many (expected) small cuts etc.

Maybe they had been put away `dirty`, although I don`t think so; but as said never before have I seen this with tyres MUCH older eg Vittoria Corsa, Rubino Pros, Mich Krylions, Schwalbe Ultremo.

I thought that I had at last found a good value tyre (at 35% discount prices :) ) in Pro 3 that ran well but now not so sure and will go back to tougher Krylions or Lithions
  • CiB
    TrekVet wrote:
    CiB

Gratis you say? Yet to you they were ok? If they put Pro3 back on then why didn't they keep the olds to show you how good they were at spotting something you hadn't, but then let themselves down by not phoning you first?
    I didn't explain myself too well; late, typing on a portable device etc.

Bike went in to have some stuff fitting that needed special tools that I don't have and whilst it was being done they noted that the tyres were 'cracked & split' so replaced them with Continentals (IIRC but didn't see any ID on the tyre when I had a quick look at the roadside) but they didn't charge me for them, and chucked in a couple of tubes too. I'd noticed recently that the front was showing some v minor splits that to me didn't warrant any comment let alone action but if I come out of it with new tyres & tubes at no additional cost I'm not complaining.

The old tyres & tubes are still in the box that all the other old stuff is still in. I haven't had an urge to go through it to see what was wrong with the Mich's yet but I will some time.

The answer to the OP's point is that I've used Pro 3s for a while now; I like them, they seem pretty resistance to punctures and to me are a good tyre. The fact that the rubber had started to separate in places was so minor to my eyes that it warranted instant dismissal as any kind of issue, and I'd have continued to run the tyres until they were worn beyond use or the splitting had become endemic. I'll keep them as spares for now, unless closer inspection does reveal them to be shot.
  • JamesB
    they seem pretty resistance to punctures and to me are a good tyre.

yes I agree with this, hence my surprise and concern at seeing how cracked mine were :(
    Maybe it is a one off (or two off as both F&R went); I`ve fitted a new pair (bought last year as a set of 4) and will see how they go
  • CiB
    Just had a look. If I hadn't been told they were cutting up & full of slits I'd have wondered why they needed replacing. They look fine to me under a strong light with m'glasses on.

Like I said, I'm happy with new ones for free, but these look fine to me bar the odd nick that's of no consequence.