advice on IT band strain

tubbs_214
tubbs_214 Posts: 185
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
right ive strained my it band ive messed around with my cleats and saddle possition i think i have them sorted but only a proper ride will tell if i have or not

well the reason i posted was to ask your opinions im thinking of going for a flat ish 55 mile ride i have done this ride a few times and can do it easily out from Manchester and through some of the Cheshire lanes near tatton park

today i did 30 minutes on the rollers with a few short intervals thrown in

so am i being a bit ambitious for a first proper ride back after this sort of injury or shall i do maybe 30 miles

any help appreciated

mark

Comments

• I would say if you did 30mins today on rollers and there were no problems then do an hour on the road tomorrow and increase by half an hour each time until you are back to normal. Monitor symptoms after riding, and the next day - adjust your rate of progress if you find they are aggravated and don't settle within 12/24 hours.

PS - I should add I am a physio and probably err on the cautious side as I have seen many people push to hard too quick and re-injure or aggravate themselves (of course those who don't do that I probably don't see again as they are fine!).
  • tubbs_214
    tubbs_214 Posts: 185
    Thanks for that I'm getting a bit of a twinge when I stand up now and it's been a few hours since I was on the rollers might give it a rest tomorrow and try and go for a ride on Monday for a hour like you said and take it from there again thanks
  • tubbs_214 wrote:
    Thanks for that I'm getting a bit of a twinge when I stand up now and it's been a few hours since I was on the rollers might give it a rest tomorrow and try and go for a ride on Monday for a hour like you said and take it from there again thanks

As its a twinge you should do bit tommorow maybe 1/2 an hour to warm up and stretch out really well afterwards. If it settles overnight try a bit more. I take it you stretched after rollers today? Stretching well is nearly always the key to ITB problems.