Riding in the rain

damo2576
damo2576 Posts: 236
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I tend to ride in the rain in my normal gear but just with a Gore waterproof. My legs/tights/feet/head get soaked. Is this what everyone else does? Or are there waterproof tights or something? What do people wear in the rain?

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    You can get water repellant lycra (eg lusso repel).

I personally just wear stuff that stays warm and comfortable even when wet (i.e. lycra and other close fitting wicking fabrics).
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I don't try and stay dry, I just try to keep comfortable. Good waterproof clothing keeps the rain out to a degree, long periods of rain will see rain going down your neck, into your shoes etc. But i find most of it comes from sweat, i can get wetter from sweat in waterproofs than I would with normal windproofs. So that's what I look for, a good lightweight windproof jacket or gilet, good arm and leg warmers. either winter boots or my normal shoes (mtb) and merino or sealskin socks. going off the sealskins as they can get too sweaty.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Legs: Last time I checked skin was waterproof
    Tights: huh?
    Feet: Overshoes
    Head: As per legs
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Rain?

Luxury! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    You're going to get wet from sweating anyway, the trick is to get wet and stay comfortable. So for sweatly summers, you need wicking clothing. For cold wet winters, you need clothes that keep you warm.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Neoprene overshoes work wonders, lovely and warm too.

I carry a light shower proof jacket that folds up very small. Not much use in a prolonged downpour but fine otherwise.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • damo2576
    damo2576 Posts: 236
    Actually overshoes is a good idea - only thing i didnt really like was my shoes filling up with water
  • I just wear clothes that will be comfortable even though itll be wet. Spend long enough in the rain and even the best waterproofs will not stop the rain getting to your underlayers! Wicking layers and comfort are #1.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The only reason rain is a problem re-clothing is because it makes you cold - if your legs aren't cold when it rains, then it's fine.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    dont ride in the rain - it is too bloody dangerous
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    g00se wrote:
    You're going to get wet from sweating anyway, the trick is to get wet and stay comfortable. So for sweatly summers, you need wicking clothing. For cold wet winters, you need clothes that keep you warm.

+1
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm with the guys who say wet is wet and trying to stay dry in the rain is sort of hopeless. However COLD and rain is a whole other animal. I've been out in it when cold rain hit and you can usually survive with a waterproof shell and standard tights because most of the cold rain is kept off your upper body and what does leak in gets warmed somewhat(keep moving-preferrably towards home). Key words being cold, rain, and survive. Notice "enjoyment" is not any part of cold rain.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Rain is fine to ride in. As the others have said so long as you're warm - that's the important thing.

I do have my rear LED on if it's a foul day.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm like the OP; Gore waterproof top, get wet elsewhere but don't mind. I do have some neoprene overshoes that keep my feet warm and repel the worst of the splashes, but they aren't waterproof.

What I do have is full length proper mudguards. These help a lot!
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I've always found that anything waterproof isn't breathable enough so you just get soaked from sweat.

These days if I know it's going to rain I knock 3-4 degrees C off the weather forcast temperature and dress for that instead of the actual temperature.