Upgrade worth it?

Lightning
Lightning Posts: 360
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I bought a Trek 1.2c (2010) 2 years ago. It has about 8000~10000kms and the only changes I ever made were the pedals (some cheap bbb ones since I wanted clipless right off the bat) and saddle (not so cheap but the stock saddle didn't suit me at all so it was totally worth it). Everything else is still stock since nothing ever broke or anything.

I never really bothered with upgrades but since I have to replace my tyres soon (still the stock Bontrager approved tyres) and everyone keeps telling me good wheels and tyres make a huge difference, I thought about upgrading the wheels (stock Bontrager approved rims) to some RS-80s or Ksyrium Elites, and the tyres to Continental GP4000s. The whole upgrade would cost me about 400€ (which is actually almost as much as I paid for the bike, but within my current budget).

My bike is still a 9 speed (sora) and weights ~9.5kg (a bit heavy compared to others I guess), so some people tell me to just buy a new bike (which I can't for at least a year and a half if I were to buy anything costing around 2000€). The thing is, my gears work fine (I also don't need another gear), and I don't have any complaints with the frame, so would a new bike costing 5 times more with possibly worst wheels actually be better? How about the wheels, do you think it would be noticeable/worth it on such a "low-end bike"?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Wheels make a big difference. Your frame is pretty good as is tiagra.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    NapoleonD wrote:
    But he doesnt have Tiagra!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Wheels make a big difference.

+1
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've got an Allez [same spec of bike] and upgrade as things break and have RS80s for the weekend. Well worth it.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    BruceG wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Indeed. However, it appears if you drink a bottle of Rioja you get a free upgrade ;)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    NapoleonD wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Indeed. However, it appears if you drink a bottle of Rioja you get a free upgrade ;)

LOL :lol:
  • Lightning
    iPete wrote:
    I've got an Allez [same spec of bike] and upgrade as things break and have RS80s for the weekend. Well worth it.
    Cool, that's what I was planning to do. I like my bike and everything works well, hence why I was thinking of upgrading wheels and tyres since they supposedly make a nice difference because of rolling resistance, etc. I just feel like a new bike would cost me a lot to get me one extra gear and weight about 1~1.5kg less as opposed to my current bike with new wheels and tyres (I'm pretty light and don't notice any difference if I take out both my water bottles to be honest).
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Hm.. Maybe I should get a couple of bottles instead?
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    8k km on stock tires?
    What are they? Please do tell. My vittorias gets cut up by glass so easily.
  • Lightning
    I'm sorry I don't know the actual name. They're just some Bontrager approved tyres for all weathers or something. Really thick, heavy and resistant (they were never cut or anything). I must warn you though, the grip is terrible.
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    tx14 wrote:
    8k km on stock tires?
    What are they? Please do tell. My vittorias gets cut up by glass so easily.

I have the same bike from the same year, pretty sure the tyres are these http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119523.html

Appears so from the spec here http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... 8#features

Edit: As above the grip is quite poor though, more so in the wet.