Bad crash on PBW Piethorne Valley this evening

bellys
bellys Posts: 456
edited April 2012 in MTB general
There's an unknown mtber in Leeds Gen Infirmary. He was taken there by air ambulance about 5pm this afternoon after he was found. the guy totally out of the game with his face ripped to bits on the Pennine Bridleway in the Piethorne Valley. He had no i/d and was in total shock. Long shot I know - but has anyone on here heard who it might be? Don't know make of bike but guy is aged between 40 & 50 yrs.

Comments

• bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Got some more details. Bike's a Beone hardtail, white & blue with spds. His name is Richard
  • Hi All
    I've benn asked to pass this message on:

Do any of you know a guy named Richard who rides a white and blue Beone HT.

Someone matching that description was found on the Pennine Bridleway today, no ID, in a bad way and is in Leeds Infirmary.

He can only remember his first name, nothing else. If you have any info can you ring Fluff on 07733 106208. Please network this.

Cheers
    Mike B
  • bellys wrote:
    Got some more details. Bike's a Beone hardtail, white & blue with spds. His name is Richard

I'll rest my case right there. :wink:
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Has he got a mobile phone with him????? If yes check for a contact ICE....In Case of Emergency!!
  • bellys wrote:

I'll rest my case right there. :wink:

He went wrong here.... :P (Hope he's okay though)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    chazkayak wrote:
    Has he got a mobile phone with him????? If yes check for a contact ICE....In Case of Emergency!!
    Right like the paramedics and hospital stuff never thought of that - donut!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    With this scenario in mind, (I mostly ride on my own), I asked for, and got a set of military-style dog-tags for Christmas. I expect for them never to be needed, but you never know. :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Emergency contacts are not much use if your phone has a pin lock - as mine had! Was lucky enough to have been roughly concious apparently to give someone access to it.

Annoyingly the lock on mine was forced by the company email set up which insists it's locked. Now I keep a separate phone for work and personal phone goes with me on rides. It's a gamble not locking it as have sensitive stuff if it's nicked or lost, but my current phone can be remotely wiped if that happens.

Anyway, any news or does this need further distribution?
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Finger crossed for this guy, started a new thread before searching! Doh

Thoughts with him and his family as they might not know he is injured yet,

I invested in an ICE tag for my helmet, they are only a couple of quid from arco and are recommended at the dockyard I'm at sometimes, they have had workers fall in to the dry dock and have no details.

All ways tell someone your route
  • Anonymous
    Saw it tweeted this evening so guess they still don't know

"@RiderDownTrust: No news yet on the rider found on the Pennine Bridleway yesterday. Can you help ID him? 40-50 yrs on blue/wht BeOne bike, first name Richard"
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Kaise wrote:

I invested in an ICE tag for my helmet, they are only a couple of quid from arco and are recommended at the dockyard I'm at sometimes, they have had workers fall in to the dry dock and have no details.

This sounds like an excellent idea have you got a link to the place you got it from. Found the Arco site but cant seem to find ICE tags
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • stubs
    Thanks rubertoe was all over that site just couldnt see it. Will order some through work on Monday great idea.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    rubertoe wrote:

Thats the bad boy

they are waterproof but at a couple of quid i think they are well worth it, going to get them for our club i think!
  • stubs
    One of them things that you hope never to need but might just save a life.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    just reading the site with my GF, now she just ordered me a Road ID. http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

she hadn't even thought about what if my phone broke ...

any news on this guy.

Hope he is ok.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • stubs
    Got a birthday coming up think I might ask for one of those road ID straps. Another good call.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    another option:

http://www.sportidtags.co.uk/

can get more info on two sides and get two tags. I have these, one in blue and one in silver. the silver is hard to read.

my wife has road id type from:

http://www.iceid.co.uk

the american based road id tags have the option to have your details stored on database accessed by a password that is on the tag, but emergency services would have to phone america for the details, and you have take out an annual payment to keep your info on the database. if you forget, the tag is useless.

i preferred to have all the relevant info on a tag on my body.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Anonymous
    Update from twitter - @RiderDownTrust"@StupidMonkeyKev: THANKS rider now identified family with him surgery tomorrow.@RiderDownTrust" thanks for letting us know :)
  • Wish for a speedy recovery, hope he ends up being ok! Surprised it took 2 days to find the family though, I would have thought they be calling around in the evening to find out where he went!
  • Anonymous
    Seems his wife called him in the end!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... is-evening
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Good to hear, GWS to him.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bellys wrote:
    There's an unknown mtber in Leeds Gen Infirmary. He was taken there by air ambulance about 5pm this afternoon after he was found. the guy totally out of the game with his face ripped to bits on the Pennine Bridleway in the Piethorne Valley. He had no i/d and was in total shock. Long shot I know - but has anyone on here heard who it might be? Don't know make of bike but guy is aged between 40 & 50 yrs.

Yes, it's my dad. Thanks to the people who found him and everyone who helped him including OMRT, Yorkshire Air ambulance, Huddersfield RI, and of course the plastic surgeons at Bradford he has made a good recovery and is going to be just fine.
    Thank you all, Samantha
  • O and we were in the hospital with him a couple of hours after it happened,
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    How is he doing now? Hope he's alright.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Really really good, thanks. His face is healing remarkably well, you wouldn't believe it was the same person as 2 weeks ago. Were you cycling when you saw him?