What do I need in my saddlebag to fix a chain?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited March 2012 in Workshop
I have a KMC 9 speed chain on my bike. So far my saddlebag contains a chain tool and 2 KMC speedlinks in case of chain snapping.

Is this sufficient in case of chain snap or do I need some other bits and bobs too? Spare rivets etc?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    You need to know what you are doing and the fact that you are unsure of which tools you need, suggest you don't...

BTW: your current kit is more than adequate, I would add a pair of latex gloves
    left the forum March 2023
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    maybe worth adding in a short--few inches--old chain too; I`ve seen a chain snap in two places at once and loose a section, a bit of extra chain helped sort it; however a 9 speed link and tool can sort virtually all issues as long as you don`t mind potentail of having to shorten chain > lose some gears
  • rodgers73
    You need to know what you are doing and the fact that you are unsure of which tools you need, suggest you don't...

Thanks for that patronising reply :?

I had planned to practice on an old chain once I had assembled everything I need.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Are you just doing normal road rides or touring? If the former then a multi-tool with a chain tool and a speed link. Loop the speedlink over the point of the chin tool and do it back up so you don't forget it.

If you break the chain, remove the broken outer plates so you have two inner links at each end, rethread the chain and join it with with the speedlink. It ll take you about 30 secs if you do it enough times...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    It's not rocket science, so you don't need to worry about it too much. The chaintool and quicklink is fine... practise once but it won't take you long to figure it out.
  • rodgers73
    I've done plenty of sportives and seen usually 2 or 3 riders along the route with snapped chains. Must be getting a bit paranoid about it!

Will have a play this weekend and get my head round it.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Chain tool and speed link, Possibly a short length of spare chain, More importantly latex gloves and some kind of wire hook device to link the chain whilst under tension from the mech whilst you join it.

Topeak alien and chaintools I find have this and do a good job
  • ddraver
    put the chain on the small sprocket and small chain ring (or even better on the BB if you ve not go a catcher) and you won't need the wire....
    - @ddraver
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    rodgers73 wrote:

Thanks for that patronising reply :?

Don't think of it as "patronising", think of it as damn good advice.
  • rodgers73
    Well how the hell do I get to know what I'm doing without the right tools to learn with? What a daft attitude!
  • ddraver
    I assume you ve done it now rodgers, but it's really, really not difficult if you have nt. I ve done it on windy, rainy mountain sides with temperature dropping and hands freezing, at night before now, and I'm really no mechanicl genius (the oppositre in fact)

Tool on, screw pin out, snap link on, Done! [/Gordon Ramsey]
    - @ddraver
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Keep the quick links as spares when you replace your chain.

I once had a chain fail, then when I looked at it I found that it was about to go in another 5 or 6 places - must have been a manufacturing fault, sideplates cracking at the rivet holes.

Out with the chain tool, cut-out the affected links, rejoin with the old, spare quick links I was carrying (variously 9sp and 8sp, which fitted my 9sp chain) and then ride-home carefully avoiding big-big as the chain was a couple of inches shorter than it should have been.