Saddle Advice - PLEASE

Mozer
Mozer Posts: 2
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

Only been riding for about a year. Doing London to Paris in July, and really suffering with trying to find a comfortable saddle, any advice welcome.

cheers

Mozer

Comments

• I'll summarise the advice you're about to get.

Do a search on the forum there's loads of similar threads.
    Saddles are personal and what three people find very comfy one person might find hell.
    Find a local shop that has a specialized assometer. This will measure your sit bones to find the appropriate width chassis.
    Alternatively put some tin foil on a padded seat or on the stairs. Sit on the foil. Get up and measure the distance between the indents.
    Go commando.
    Wear padded shorts/trousers
    Check here viewtopic.php?f=40049&t=12715506 for saddle swapping

Job done
  • Nice one - the most concise and efficient answer I've seen in a long time
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    missed the bit about charge spoon and brooks. ;-)
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • logitech208
    logitech208 Posts: 167
    I am totally smitten with my new charge spoon saddle its really transformed my ride and for £20 you cant loose.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have a Charge Spoon on my mtb and the lighter Knife version on the road bike. Tried quite a few and found that's what works for me. But every bum is different :-)

The angle of the saddle is vital too. Where do you find it hurts?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Is that the London to Paris ride for the Alzimers society?
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Is that the London to Paris ride for the Alzimers society?
    Forgot

:lol:

Thanks for the tinfoil top Bridlington :)
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I have a charge spoon on my MTB but struggle to find a good position on it, however both road bike have Selle Italia Turbo saddles on them and find these really comfy....but it does seem to be down to the individual.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Both my LBS have tester saddles that I was able to loan for a couple of weeks to make up my mind. They stocked Fizik and Selle Italia so tried 5 saddles before settling on one. Unfortunately, it proved to be the most expensive but surprised me as it was also the one with the least amount of get filling (based on feel - I didn't base my purchase on any internet sales pitch), and was also the hardest.
    I've now done over 500 miles on that saddle, including a 100 miler, and it's been a blessing.
    Every bum is different so find a shop that lets you loan saddles. A good LBS should be able to do this for you.