700 x 47c tyres

contender1
contender1 Posts: 10
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
I had a problem that started before christmas where i started getting alot of punctures i think i even came on here for advice about my tyres, anyway it turned out that i wasnt getting punctures it was actually my tyres innertubes were splitting.
The inner tubes in question were continental tubes rated at 700 x 32/47 bought from halfords.
I needed a new inner tube so went back to halfords and explained the problem but they wouldnt replace as i had them for some time and had no proof of purchase.
I bought another innertube same brand as that all they had low and behold i have the same problem but only when pumped up hard 55psi they are ok if run at lower pressure.
Im thinking as my tyres are at the upper end of the recommended size i may be over inflating them trying to get the desired tyre pressure.
Can anyone recommend an innertube more suitable and where to by online as im really struggling to find something suitable and dont wont to waste anymore money.

Cheers
Nick

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    That's a huge tube. What tyres are you running?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Can you describe the way they are puncturing, is the tyre itself blowing off the rim at all? If so, check the tyre bead & wheel rim lip for breaks or gaps. If theres a failure in the clinch, the rip along the inner tube when it blows will be quite spectacular.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    DesWeller wrote:
    That's a huge tube. What tyres are you running?

47c tyres :shock: ......are you sure it's not a motorbike?

I know larger diameter and smaller profile tyres tend to run at lower pressures, but 55psi is nothing for a cycle tyre.

Is the puncture always in the same place on the same tyre?

I think you need to be looking for either a sharp edge on the rim or something stuck in, or even a hole in the tyre. Check that the rim tape hasn't moved or a spoke isn't sticking through the rim. If the damage is round the valve check that there isn't a sharp edge near the valve hole in the rim. (nb, some rims, especially those that can run presta and schrader valves, have a plastic insert through the valve hole. If fitted, check that this is in place and undamaged.)

I've had tubes fail as I inflated them - schwalbe in all cases. There was usually either a line of bubbles in the tube, a fold or some visible damage/defect around where the tube had failed. nb, and in my experience, when a tube 'fails' you get a star shape to the hole as the rubber tears.

You mentioned that this has happended 'since Christmas'. Was it after a specific event (such as changing tyres, a heavy 'kerbing') ?

Bob
  • I did have the Tyre come off a few times before christmas but not since.
    The tyres are continental city contact 700 x 47C they are beasts they come with the bike when i bought it a kona smoke.
    They were to good quality to change for no reason but i will down size when i replace them.
    The inner tubes are splitting in a perfect line along a seam, the seam is not the main raised seam but a less noticeable seam which runs right around the inner tube.
    The splits aren't usually very long no more than a cm, and are in different places its not like something is poking through the inner tube its only ever happened with this brand of inner tube.
    They do look awful thin diameter for the size of the tyre they need to fill
  • just noticed that liddle are doing a pack of 2 inner tubes for 3.99 in various sizes presta and schraeder.
    They do a 28" inner tube i wonder if that would fit a 700c tyre?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I think you may be pinching them on installation. There's a lot of rubber floating around in there.

1. Dollop some talcum powder on the inside of the tyre and roll the tyre around to distribute it evenly. Talcum powder will help the tube slide on the inside of the tyre during inflation, helping to prevent bunching.
    2. Partially inflate the tube and dust some more talc on that
    3. Fit one side of the tyre, then fit the partially inflated inner tube
    4. Starting opposite the valve hole (and without using tyre levers if at all possible), fit the other side of the tyre
    5. Add a bit more air into the tube, then, starting at the valve hole, make your way round the tyre rocking it across the wheel. This is a bit hard to describe, but you're just aiming to settle the tube properly in the tyre.
    6. Fully inflate

Good luck.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ill have ago but i dont think im pinching the inner tubes i use my hand anyway cause i dont want to risk damaging the tubes with the levers (done that before many years ago), but i appreciate your advice any will try it i have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Are you ensuring the tyre goes back on the rim in the same relative position every time, or could it be a wire in the tyre popping out when the tyre flexes, doing the dirty to the stretched wafer thin (?) inner tube and lying back flat when the tyre is all relaxed on the floor when you're fixing another p*