Converting a drop bar road bike to a flat bar road bike

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited March 2012 in Workshop
I ve got an old 105 9 speed equipped Allez . I want to convert into a fast commuter.

I ve got some easton flat bars and 9 speed XT rapid fires and Brake levers.

Will the XT shifters have the same pull ratio as the Old 9 speed (5600) i think rear mech

and will the brake XT brake levers pull my 105 (Newer 5700 series) calipers.

Would I be better throwing an XT rear mech I ve got on the frame (Ive also got an 11-34 casette)

Front chainset is obviously just a double, but I suppose I can trim it by winding in the Low or High range screw to work with the Ring front XT shifter. (Front mech Ultegra 6600 series)

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Will the XT shifters have the same pull ratio as the Old 9 speed (5600) i think rear mech

yes. The rear shifter will be fine with a road rear mech.
    and will the brake XT brake levers pull my 105 (Newer 5700 series) calipers.

if the levers are for V-brakes then no, they pull too much cable so you'll get a hard lever and sod all power
    Would I be better throwing an XT rear mech I ve got on the frame (Ive also got an 11-34 casette)

see above, no difference. Only if you want a higher range of gears
    Front chainset is obviously just a double, but I suppose I can trim it by winding in the Low or High range screw to work with the Ring front XT shifter. (Front mech Ultegra 6600 series)

Correct. The shifters pull too much cable for a raod front mech but you can get round this by using the limit screws to stop the overshift onto the small ring.

Thought about just using 1x9? No shifter, no mech, just run a n-gear jumpstop and chainguide. Much simpler/tidier/lighter.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Isn't that already a fast commuter?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You will need cantilever levers.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • tim_wand
    The levers are for XT disc cable brakes. just look like normal V brake levers to me.

However the calipers they match up to (Shimano disc cable) look to have a straight cable routing. I.e no noodle like on V brakes so I m wondering if the pull ratio will be similiar to road calipers.

Spose I ve just got to suck it and see, The frame wont take canti mounts. As for it being a fast commuter already I want a flat bar for better surviveability.
  • maddog 2
    if the brake lever pivot length is <25mm then you'll be fine using them with standard roadie brakes (dual pivots).

If it's more like 35 or above then they are basically V brake levers and will result in low power, as said.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • tim_wand
    Maddog. How do I measure this, Brake lever pivot length?

Are we talking about the distance of cable the lever pulls when activated?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As said, MTB brake lever cable-pull is longer than for a road brake therefore whilst your XT levers will work a road caliper, there will be less 'feel' or modulation than if you were using a road brake lever - it'll work, but not as well as a matched pair of levers and calipers. Just to make things even more complicated, Shimano recently changed the cable-pull ratio for their road brakes away from what has been adopted as the industry norm - so non-Shimano road levers aren't as suitable either!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tim_wand
    Could the issue of cable pull be sorted by fitting Cyclo cross style top levers , or do these only pull less when ran in conjunction with the standard Sti/Ergo style brake and gear levers.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You could use CX levers, most don't feel as robust as a regular lever nor offer as much adjustment - searching ebay and you'll find suitable levers for a fiver
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • maddog 2
    edited March 2012
    tim wand wrote:
    Maddog. How do I measure this, Brake lever pivot length?

distance from the pivot of the lever to the place where the nipple sits. If it's 25mm or less you're on cantilever levers (good for roadie brakes), if it's 35mm+ it's a V brake lever (no good).

Or just fit them as they are and when you plummet to your untimely death, then you'll know they aren't quite optimal*.

* this is a joke
  • maddog 2
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    TommyEss wrote:
    Isn't that already a fast commuter?
    +1
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    good luck with the flat bar cycling ive got boath and the flat bar is the best
    going downhill slowly