What's a commuter?

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I have just been looking at my distances over the past fortnight, 350k fairly typical fortnight, some on my road bike, some on my hybrid with and without my trailer, only a few days where I didn't ride at all. Some of the journeys are shopping, so cycling into a town and back.

My question is can you call yourself a commuter if like me you don't have a job? Is it the regularity, the urban environment or motivational purpose which defines the genre?
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    its the going to work i suspect tbh. So no job, you're not really commuting are you?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    facepalm10.jpg

only because it's friday.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    edited March 2012
    team47b wrote:
    I have just been looking at my distances over the past fortnight, 350k fairly typical fortnight, some on my road bike, some on my hybrid with and without my trailer, only a few days where I didn't ride at all. Some of the journeys are shopping, so cycling into a town and back.

My question is can you call yourself a commuter if like me you don't have a job? Is it the regularity, the urban environment or motivational purpose which defines the genre?
    Your mileage probably qualifies you for the practical aspect, but did you pass the written exam?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    this is all a bit existentialist for a friday
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    this is all a bit existentialist for a friday

Seems the best day for existentialism?
  • team47b
    Didn't realise it was friday!

So if I repeatedly cycle to and from somewhere but not do any work, I'm not a commuter.

That will cut down the number of commuters today!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Why would you repeatedly ride to and from somewhere for any other reason? If you've got the freedom to ride all over, then go exploring, don't keep going back and forth!?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • clarkey cat
    visiting your father in prison?
  • MonkeyMonster
    visiting your father in prison?

or a bit of how's your father perhaps?
  • clarkey cat
    it's difficult. they supervise the visits.
  • MonkeyMonster
    it's difficult. they supervise the visits.

the fathers? harsh!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    @team47b

I am assuming, from looking at your location, that you are not from the UK, and therefore may not quite get the British sense of humour/xenophobic tendencies. To remove any doubts, you are probably not a commuter in the truest sense, but you are more than welcome to contribute to the drivel that normally gets posted here. After all, we are all commuters on the path of life*

*example of typical drivel
  • team47b
    I was originally just simply taking a swipe at the workers, I don't have to work/I swan around in the sunshine/go out on a bike whenever I like/it hasn't rained since October/bit of a humourous wind up/jabbing a pointy stick/bit bored this afternoon.

I was just looking for the commuters 'raison d'etre'.

MTB - xtreme.
    Road bike - competitive.
    Commuter.....(fill in the blank).

Just looking for suggestions, yeah could be existentialist, or derogatory if you like, for a larf!

Can I go first?

Commuter - Knight of the road
    Commuter - scourge of the red light
    Commuter - tolerant of all other road users
    Commuter - Ped killer

or employee :D