Surrey's new Environment & Transport boss.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Appears to be a bit, erm, cycling unfriendly.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/21102 ... ppointment

Comments

• He looks healthy.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359
    From the look of his mug shot, his heart might pack up before he gets to do any real damage. And a convicted drink driver: how delightful. What an utter waste of atoms.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    When the county council’s local committee for Runnymede met in Addlestone on February 20, plans for a £170,000 developer-funded cycle path from Virginia Water to Thorpe were criticised by him.

Speaking then, Cllr Furey said: “That is £170,000 we could find to spend on ‘relevant’ things for the borough.

“Can we please advise Surrey Highways that we don’t spend money on cyclists any more – well, not until they wear a day-glow vest, proper lights front and rear and are fully insured.”

The same item came before the committee in October last year, prompting similar comments from Cllr Furey, who will now be in charge of preparing Surrey’s highways in readiness for the 2012 Olympic road cycle race.

I doubt that affects many of the people on here to be honest...

The drink driving conviction from 2010 is less savoury.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    "New Haw Tory"
    Are the New Haws a particular grouping in the conservative party, or just another Tory drinking club?
  • rick_chasey
    bompington wrote:
    "New Haw Tory"
    Are the New Haws a particular grouping in the conservative party, or just another Tory drinking club?

I think New Haw is a village in Surrey.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ...and I like the dig at drink-driving motorists from a cyclist too ;-)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    You can't have a convicted drink driver in charge of transport !!!
    exercise.png
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359
    When the county council’s local committee for Runnymede met in Addlestone on February 20, plans for a £170,000 developer-funded cycle path from Virginia Water to Thorpe were criticised by him.

Speaking then, Cllr Furey said: “That is £170,000 we could find to spend on ‘relevant’ things for the borough.

“Can we please advise Surrey Highways that we don’t spend money on cyclists any more – well, not until they wear a day-glow vest, proper lights front and rear and are fully insured.”

The same item came before the committee in October last year, prompting similar comments from Cllr Furey, who will now be in charge of preparing Surrey’s highways in readiness for the 2012 Olympic road cycle race.

Really? Surrey is where most of those in S and SW London head for recreational cycling.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    That decision is simply retarded.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Really? Surrey is where most of those in S and SW London head for recreational cycling.

I meant more no-one here uses that kind of cycle path.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    He does have a point - most of the cycle paths and tracks in Surrey are pointless at best and dangerous at worst.

His views that none of us use lights at night is disturbing though. However, it is probably backed up by the number of fols I see with little or no lighting leaving Hersham and Walton railway stations on an evening.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I think the word I am looking for is T W A T
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    the face of local government

C_67_article_2110271_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg?16%2F03%2F2012%2010%3A34%3A41%3A477
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    the face of local government

C_67_article_2110271_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg?16%2F03%2F2012%2010%3A34%3A41%3A477

It looks like it's imploding, slowly
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ludicrous appointment, but hardly surprising. At least he won't be able to prevent resurfacing along the Olympic RR route.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    He looks a bit like me with a hangover.