Dry Lube or Wet Lube????

dirty face
dirty face Posts: 139
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
For MTB'ing fellas! not what you were thinking! :roll:

When is it best to use either one?

and why?
If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wax lube, Squirt to be specific. All year round. Needs more frequent application in really wet weather, but no gunk, no build up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dirty face
    I've just looked at their website, it says that no degreasing is required? is this true? its also says that degreasing is NOT recommended. What about when cleaning the chain? Surley as a wax lube it will attract some dirt and grime therefore need to be degreased for cleaning?
  • cooldad
    edited March 2012
    Minimal, dirt seems to clump up with the wax and fall off. Rest just wipes or washes off. Dirt is really only on the outside so it doesn't matter that much. The wax gets inside the rollers which is where lubrication is needed.
    It's not oily. so you don't get a black greasy chain, nothing to degrease.
    Some people reckon it's not very good in really wet weather, but I just reapply every few rides and it works fine.

I'm a bit of a fanboi but I've used nothing else since I first tried it a few years ago.

You do need to degrease a chain properly before using it though. And follow the instructions by applying the day before a ride if possible, to give it a chance to set nicely. The carrier is water which needs to evaporate.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i used to use dry lube and wet lube through winter, finishline wet lube is good and stays on the chain a long time but it makes a mess of the drive train..

i always used white lightning through out the summer months, keeps the chain clean.. this winter i opted to carry on using it,, it does not last as long as the wet lube so requires more applications but this winter i had no more gunky drive chain and zero issues..
    next winter i will look at some of their wet ride lube...
  • composite
    composite Posts: 29
    I'm a Squirt fan boy as well tbh. Sure it doesn't last as well in the wet but just reapply more often. It "sets" after a short while so doesn't get so clagged with crap.
  • dirty face
    I m ight give it a go then, but I've got a bottle of FL wet lube and I've been recommended to use it until the weather gets better then use dry lube in the summer, I don't mind having to clean the drive train every week as it gives me an excuse to dissapear into the garage for a while!
  • cooldad
    So just tell her you're going into the garage to lube your bike with your squirt. She'll understand.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dirty face
    cooldad wrote:
    So just tell her you're going into the garage to lube your bike with your squirt. She'll understand.

Ha1 I'm sure she will.......did you know that I am actually having an affair with my bike.....or so she tells me anyway! :wink:
  • cooldad
    dirty face wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Ha1 I'm sure she will.......did you know that I am actually having an affair with my bike.....or so she tells me anyway! :wink:
    Your name is Robert Stewart?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dirty face
    cooldad wrote:
    dirty face wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Your name is Robert Stewart?

I've now seen it all! I'd better stop cleaning my stancions or i'll end up on the sex offenders register! :?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Rock n Roll's extreme lube is a good choice.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Been using muc off wet lube in all conditions for a while now. Clean the chain once a month, rear mech tends to get a lot of crap though.
    cooldad wrote:
    Wax lube, Squirt to be specific. All year round. Needs more frequent application in really wet weather, but no gunk, no build up.

Been thinking about trying some of this out. If it gets really wet on a ride would you need to reapply mid ride or is it a case of just needing a relube when you get home? Had a ceramic wax lube previously which would disappear after riding through a puddle.
  • cooldad
    Nope, I do it every few rides in really bad weather. Bear in mind you only need lube in the rollers, so just because you can't see any on the outside doesn't mean it's not lubed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mikelskas
    mikelskas Posts: 57
    Im new to the whole serious mountain biking scene but have been using Squirt for around two weeks and my brother has been using it for a few months. It certainly keeps my drivetrain nice and smooth and fairly clean although my bike has only been out in mainly dry conditions. I also have Finish Line Ceramic wax but it has only been used on the derailures.
    2011 Jamis Ventura Race
    2016 BMC TeamMachine SLR02