Tire removal issues

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I understand how to remove tires from a rim, however on trying this on the road bike I near enough found it impossible and managed to break two tire leves.

Is there some trick to this or is it just bloody difficult.

The tires in question are Continental UltraRace 700x25c, I think. Its whatever is standard on a genesis equilibrium

thanks

sam

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    It is bloody difficult, certainly compared to tyres with more width/give, folding tyres I just gave up on after I'd ruined an inner tube. The trick is to make sure the band is in the centre recess of the rim all the way round and then try to lever it over the side this gives you a bit more play to work with.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    They are much trickier to get on and off than MTB tyres. I usually put a lever at 11pm, another at 1pm, and lift that portion of the tyre over the rim. Then go round the tyre.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It takes you 15 hours to get a tyre off ???

Oh...... :D:D:D
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You have to be careful not to get the inner tube between the lever and the tyre when you're removing it, otherwise it becomes very difficult. Push the tyre well over when you're inserting the lever.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • It's not so much getting it off I have a problem with, it is getting it back on again - especially the last six inches until the last two inches. Still nursing scabby knuckles after the last time I changed a tyre.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    It's not so much getting it off I have a problem with, it is getting it back on again - especially the last six inches until the last two inches. Still nursing scabby knuckles after the last time I changed a tyre.

Same thing, be absolutely certain you've got the bead of the tyre right in the middle of the recess of the rim
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    See the Spa Cycles guide to the notoriously hard to fit Marathon Plus.
  • It's not so much getting it off I have a problem with, it is getting it back on again - especially the last six inches until the last two inches. Still nursing scabby knuckles after the last time I changed a tyre.

Phwoar
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Phwoar
    Just say 'when', Madam 8)
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    cheers for the replies - I thought it was just me and bad technique or something
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    edited March 2012
    i use one of those speed levers - quick taking off - quick putting back one. The toughest ones though were the folding ones - I found I had to put a tire on and off for there to be enough 'give' in the tires

thats what I use
    | | | |
    \/\/\/\/
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • This is the only tool you will need to carry - it has never let me down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgLY3HfTq3E

Crank Brothers Speed lever
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    a smear of washing up liquid can help the leaver to slide a bit easier
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Don't want to seem annoying but fyi, its o'clock not pm cje. :D
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425

No, 11pm and 1pm gives him 2 hours to rest between levers, which is why he finds it easy!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    team47b wrote:

No, 11pm and 1pm gives him 2 hours to rest between levers, which is why he finds it easy!

Nope, it definitely gives him 14 hours rest! Can I claim my prize now? :D
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    EarlyGo wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Nope, it definitely gives him 14 hours rest! Can I claim my prize now? :D

Oops :oops: maths!

So he is changing tyres mostly in the dark, he's still good, just slow :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • The technique displayed in this video really is effective http://www.bikeradar.com/video/how-to-s ... 6079135001

At least it is on the non folding tyres I have on the second bike which also has cheap and nasty wheels.

However it is not on the folding schwalbe tyres which are on Ultegra tubeless compatible rims on my main bike. I'm not sure if it is the folding or the rim or a combination or both ( I suspect the rims are the main culprit). But they are a real problem to get off, even with tools (do not use tyre levers it says on the shimano instructions!).

I confess to being a proper weakling with no upper body strength. But I can get the second bike tyres off and on easily without any tools.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    KentPhil wrote:
    a smear of washing up liquid can help the leaver to slide a bit easier

Or talc - easier to carry and easier to get off the rim to help you brake properly afterwards!
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148

Yes, I realise my error.