Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x seeking advice please !

ThePants711
ThePants711 Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
1st post ! go easy ....... please

I'm looking at splashing some of that hard earned bonus ( tho i won't mention i work for a bank ! :oops: )

1. Sizing - using the online Canyon guide , it says go for the small 16.5. Has anyone out there purchased similar ? How do you find the cockpit, cramped or spacious enough ? How do you find it climbing, descents, drop-offs ? Did you wish you went for medium !? ( I'm 5'8, 85kg stocky build if i'm being honest . Not being able to test these out i want to be sure i'm going for the right fit. )

2. Chainrings - Bashguard/38/24 - any feedback on this, e.g over the flat, climbing etc ? compared to the standard 3cog 42/32/24 ( which i'm used too ) , is this any better/worse ?

Thanks !

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I haven't got one but their size guide is rubbish apparently, you will need the medium I would think, not the small.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cubicboy
    cubicboy Posts: 117
    I am 6ft with a Nerve XC and I have a medium. I posted this recently that may be of use...

I have just bought a Nerve XC 9.0 SL... I had the urge to splurge.
    After spending most of the Xmas holiday on the Canyon site I chose the XC as it matched the kind of riding that I planned to do. The next step was to get an idea of sizing: this was exhaustive, with hours and hours spent trawling forums and trying to compare geometries. Even though Canyon have an online sizing calculator I contacted their UK rep direct to get his opinion. His response was rapid, well-informed and very helpful. Having said that, his recommendation was a large (I'm 6ft) but I still had doubts. I posted a topic here on the MTB forum and got an immediate response from a guy who's 6'1"... who rides a medium. So, I have a medium, and I have to say that it's perfect and something akin to a 'medium plus' or a small large. A close friend also bought an AL hardtail in medium and he's also 6ft (although his seat post is too short).
    I ordered the bike and it came within a week in a very solid box. Assembly was very simple (although I do know a decent amount about bikes). One of the really exciting bits of the buying process is tracking the delivery via UPS, which takes two days. Out on the trials I'm yet to come across another one, but they'll probably be like buses.
    The ride quality is fantastic and you're making a saving of over 30% against other brands. It looks a million dollars in my eyes too... nothing at all like a 'budget' brand. Buy one.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    antfly wrote:
    I haven't got one but their size guide is rubbish apparently, you will need the medium I would think, not the small.
    amazingly enough i do have a canyon and the size calculator was spot on for me, and why do people keep waffling on about height, its your inseam and reach, height has nothing to do with the length of your arms and legs
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    I'm looking at splashing some of that hard earned bonus ( tho i won't mention i work for a bank ! )

you don't want a canyon you need a sorry 5 elsworths, to go in the audi.... :P :wink::lol:
  • antfly
    chez_m356 wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    amazingly enough i do have a canyon and the size calculator was spot on for me, and why do people keep waffling on about height, its your inseam and reach, height has nothing to do with the length of your arms and legs
    The length of your legs does have some influence on your height, I would say, if you are a normally proportioned human.
  • swelsbyuk
    swelsbyuk Posts: 421
    I am 5'11" and have a Nerve XC 6.0 in size medium and didn't bother with the size calculator. It's not as though there are dozens of options and you need the exact one, it's still the basic small, medium, large and extra large.

I would say that the medium is perfect for me, and would probably still be ok for you. Whereas the small may be slightly too small. You can return the bike (at your own expense) should the sizing prove wrong.

If I were you I would probably go for the medium initially (it would probably assist the resale too). However, I'm not you......
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    swelsbyuk wrote:
    I am 5'11" and have a Nerve XC 6.0 in size medium and didn't bother with the size calculator. It's not as though there are dozens of options and you need the exact one, it's still the basic small, medium, large and extra large.

I would say that the medium is perfect for me, and would probably still be ok for you. Whereas the small may be slightly too small. You can return the bike (at your own expense) should the sizing prove wrong.

If I were you I would probably go for the medium initially (it would probably assist the resale too). However, I'm not you......

If you go with the reccomended size you have 30 days to exchange at Canyons expense. The sizes are on the large side I am 6ft and have a medium.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    antfly wrote:

How can you say this you dont own a Canyon you have probably never sat on one and you have never seen the guy yet you happily reccomend a bike size that might be wrong for him. :?
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chez_m356
    antfly wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    The length of your legs does have some influence on your height, I would say, if you are a normally proportioned human.
    which not every one is, for example, you could be 6.1'' and have a 31'' inseam or 35'' and everything in between, above and below, everyone is different, or haven't you noticed ?
  • chez_m356
    stubs wrote:
    antfly wrote:

How can you say this you dont own a Canyon you have probably never sat on one and you have never seen the guy yet you happily reccomend a bike size that might be wrong for him. :?
    +1, amazing how many canyon experts there are that have only seen them on the net
  • stubs
    chez_m356 wrote:
    which not every one is, for example, you could be 6.1'' and have a 31'' inseam or 35'' and everything in between, above and below, everyone is different, or haven't you noticed ?

+1

I am built like a badly shaved Gorilla. I have a pair of Endura shorts in L and an Endura top in XXL.
  • antfly
    Sorry for contributing to a topic on a bike I don't own, the cheek of it, I have studied the geometry though and researched the sizing in the past so commented anyway. If people only posted on here when they knew exactly what they were talking about there wouldn't be many posts ! I wouldn't buy one myself anyway after hearing about them not replacing broken frames.
  • chez_m356
    antfly wrote:
    Sorry for contributing to a topic on a bike I don't own, the cheek of it, I have studied the geometry though and researched the sizing in the past so commented anyway. If people only posted on here when they knew exactly what they were talking about there wouldn't be many posts ! I wouldn't buy one myself anyway after hearing about them not replacing broken frames.
    if your such an expert, why not impart your vast knowledge of canyons with the rest of us, i do remember reading something to do with that myself, how many years ago was it :wink:
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    I'm 5'9" with 31" inside leg and weigh in at 86Kg - went for the AM Nerve in medium and would say the fit is great even though the website recommended small.
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • Thanks for all the replies folks, it's been helpful and given me something more to think about !!
    JimboM wrote:
    I'm 5'9" with 31" inside leg and weigh in at 86Kg - went for the AM Nerve in medium and would say the fit is great even though the website recommended small.

JimboM - i'm curious, is that the 8.0x you went for ? How do you find it running the 24/38 crank setup ?

cheers
  • chez_m356
    Thanks for all the replies folks, it's been helpful and given me something more to think about !!
    JimboM wrote:

JimboM - i'm curious, is that the 8.0x you went for ? How do you find it running the 24/38 crank setup ?

cheers
    this guy may be able to help you, have a look here viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12835021&p=17460339&hilit=canyon+am#
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Reading this thread and you wonder why it has become a common site to see people riding the wrong size bike. :lol:
  • chez_m356
    omegas wrote:
    Reading this thread and you wonder why it has become a common site to see people riding the wrong size bike. :lol:
    maybe its something to do with this fixation that people seem to have with height, rather than the measurements that matter.
  • stubs
    I bought a GT about 7 or 8 years ago and let myself be persuaded by the sales bod that because I was 6ft I had to have a large frame. It didnt fit me no matter what I did with stems and seatposts and it got sold on quite quickly. I have short legs a long body and not much in the way of neck and I dont fit a large GT. Though since then I have fitted a medium On one, a large Specialized, a large Commencal and a medium Canyon. I have sat on a large Canyon Nerve AM and it felt like sitting a 5 bar farm gate. You wouldnt buy shoes based on your height why should you buy a bike based on your height.
  • euans2
    euans2 Posts: 43
    I have a large Canyon Nerve AM as recomended by the size calculator... It fit's me like a glove!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    stubs wrote:
    I bought a GT about 7 or 8 years ago and let myself be persuaded by the sales bod that because I was 6ft I had to have a large frame. It didnt fit me no matter what I did with stems and seatposts and it got sold on quite quickly. I have short legs a long body and not much in the way of neck and I dont fit a large GT. Though since then I have fitted a medium On one, a large Specialized, a large Commencal and a medium Canyon. I have sat on a large Canyon Nerve AM and it felt like sitting a 5 bar farm gate. You wouldnt buy shoes based on your height why should you buy a bike based on your height.

Just to play devil's advocate, you (generally) buy shoes based on the length of your foot when in fact a lot of other measurements come in to play i.e foot width, arch height etc :wink:

Unless you can get a custom made bike to your exact measurements we are all making compromises somewhere as most models are only available in three sizes these days. I can ride a Medium or Large without any problems - although as stated in an earlier post I tend to have a slightly better time climbing on M's and a slightly better time descending on L's although this could be just down to the geo of the handful of bikes I've ridden
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:

Just to play devil's advocate, you (generally) buy shoes based on the length of your foot when in fact a lot of other measurements come in to play i.e foot width, arch height etc :wink:

Unless you can get a custom made bike to your exact measurements we are all making compromises somewhere as most models are only available in three sizes these days. I can ride a Medium or Large without any problems - although as stated in an earlier post I tend to have a slightly better time climbing on M's and a slightly better time descending on L's although this could be just down to the geo of the handful of bikes I've ridden

Yes but if you are 5' 10" and normally wear a size 10 does that mean you will walk around in an ill fitting size 10 because thats what you always wear. One firms 10 is anothers 11 or 9, equally one bike firms med is anothers large. My Commencal Super 4 large is exactly (to within a few milimeters) the same size as my medium Canyon Nerve XC. I think from memory the Canyon chain stays are about 2 or 3mm longer and the top tube is about 2 or 3 mm shorter, the wheel base measured dropout to dropout is identical. What I was trying to say was dont assume just because your say 5' 10" and your last bike was a med 18 inch that your new bike which is also a med 18" will fit. It on the balance of probability wont be too far off but its not certain.

To make the Canyon fit perfectly I had to swap the bars from a low to a medium riser and fit a seatpost with about 15 mm of layback as I felt I was too over the pedals, I like to be slightly further back when I am sat pedalling but allowed to get further forward when in the attack position or standing. I didnt swap the 85mm stem for a shorter one as is the current fashion because I have tried that but felt too squashed up.

I would suggest a comparitively new rider never buys a mail order bike or frame but if you have had quite a few bikes and are happy with a certain set of frame dimensions then yes buying mail order is fine. Canyons frame measuring app is very good in my experience if its done properly and they are happy to swap sizes at there expense if there reccomendation doesnt feel right.
  • chez_m356
    stubs wrote:
    Canyons frame measuring app is very good in my experience if its done properly and they are happy to swap sizes at there expense if there reccomendation doesnt feel right.
    to be fair, i would say that most of the size guides i've seen online tend to be height based, obviously these are just guidelines, but its what people remember, so its no wonder people struggle with other measurements
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    I used the size guide when I bought my AM 5.0. I'm 6 foot 2 (can't remember my inside leg measurement). Anyway, by altering my inside leg by a cm eitherway caused the on-line size guide to change between a medium and a large. In the end I went for the large and it fits great.

Cheers

J
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I was sized up for a Small, but as some others have found I was also borderline medium with my inside leg so upping that by 1cm made me a medium, I went for a medium and it fits great, go with the calculator unless you are borderline.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    i recently used the canyon configurator, I am 6f 1 and 82kg, normally ride a large spesh or 20 inch orange

it suggested a small for the canyon nerve AM 7.0 :shock:

after a demo day this weekend on other makes, I am convinced I need to try one before buying a canyon, the demo day bikes were so different (spesh, cube, cannondale, santa cruz, orange)

i am going to need to loiter more and approach strangers to see if they will let me ride their canyons... :lol:
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    I was looking at ordering a Nerve XC 7 and had read numerous posts about their sizing guide so in the end i emailed them with my sizes (5ft 7, Inside leg 30inch) and they recommend a small as a medium kicks in at 5ft 9. So hopefully when it arrives its the right fit!

MAT
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours