How do I sell a rubbish bike?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I have a Carrera Banshee 06/07 which has been made up from spare parts from other rubbish bikes. The only good thing on it is probably its front wheel which is strangely strong. The rear wheel is buckled and has a old gripshift rear shifter. The frame has dinks and scratches with a broken cable securer and I just want to get rid of it. Shall I sell it in parts or sell as a whole?
My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    If its built from rubbish parts then no ones gonna want to buy them individually!

I'd stick it in the local rag as a complete bike if I were you.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    flea-bay, 99p start & no reserve.
  • MTB noob
    thanks for the tip
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • davewalsh wrote:

But make sure you list the faults etc....

I'd word it... The Good, The Bad and the Ugly....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Use it to practice maintenance on it.

Gripshift - that's the new thing! Worth a fortune it will be ;) :P
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Gripshift - that's the new thing! Worth a fortune it will be ;) :P

Pfft! Had that on my 1979 Grifter...
    Failed constantly though and put me through the windscreen of a mini. I would never touch a gripshift again - makes me nervous just thinking about them
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Honestly!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    davewalsh wrote:

Yup, you can sell any old tosh on Ebay as long as you're honest about it!!

I sold the totally knackered front and rear mechs off my Juliana on Ebay - they were VERY well used and to be honest I was going to bin them. I think I sold both for £50 and the buyer was very happy (as was I :lol: ) :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I would repair/replace the rear wheel and any other parts that are broken(as cheaply as possible obviously, look for bargains in the classifieds), give it a good clean and service and then sell it in the classifieds as a pub/hack bike.
  • MTB noob
    I have swapped the frames on it from a 06' Banshee to a Shogun XC Grind to save weight and all i need now is a new rear wheel, front shifter and a carbon spacer
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    E-bay - listing all of the problems & plenty of photos. Low starting price, no reserve but maybe make some money from postage. Or local rag.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.