Tyres too tight for rims. Help!

Crayfish
Crayfish Posts: 225
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Trying to fit Hutchinson (Python and Toro) tubeless tyres onto Hope Hoops with Crest 29er rims. Holy crap - they're tight! (and they're not 26" tyres by the way...) :wink:

They are so tight that I have tried for 40 minutes to get one on and have failed miserably.

Any clever suggestions as to how to get really tight tyres on a rim????
http://www.youtube.com/user/stumpy25lbs
Choose a ****ing big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose a bike. Choose some singletrack. Choose your future. Choose Life. (Irv Welsh)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Watch the video on you tube on how to fit schwalbe marathon tyres.

Most people forget how to fit tyres.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    On some barons which were being absolute swines, a squirt of silicone spray helped a lot !
  • Crayfish
    nicklouse wrote:
    Watch the video on you tube on how to fit schwalbe marathon tyres.

Most people forget how to fit tyres.

I can't even get the first bead on. He only shows how to get the second bead on. Mine is much tighter than his unfortunately...
    Choose a ****ing big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose a bike. Choose some singletrack. Choose your future. Choose Life. (Irv Welsh)
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Washing up liquid and a decent plastic tire lever... ? :0)

That does it! I had an issue fitting Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35 slicks to my skinny rimmed commuter. Lots of washing up liquid and a "decent" tyre lever did the trick
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    i thought i read somewhere on the NoTubes site that Hutchinson tyres are not recommended for there rims??

EDIT: ok maybe not, just the Air Light version of Hutchinson.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Those rims are horrendously tight. Basically they increased the bead diameter slightly to make tyre inflation with non-tubeless tyres easier. Unfortunately at the same time most manufacturers started doing tubeless ready type tyres with a smaller bead, to achieve the same thing!

Make sure you're fitting them right, a decent tyre lever won't go a miss either.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    If you're not already - assuming it's the same principle as the Stans 26" rim, get the bead into the centre groove as you go around...(the deepeset part of the rim....the rest should then be easier to mount)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    My Sun rims are stupid, managed to snap a park lever getting my last tyre on. Some rim tyre combos need at least metal cored levers. I hate my wheels so I just use steel ones.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    For stupidly tight rim tyre combos either Park Tools steel core levers, or maybe one of these: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/simson-tyre-mate-prod22353/
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • If you place a piece of electrical tape on the rim (maybe doubled up) you could use metal tire levers without damaging the rim.... Once the tire is on, peel the tape off...

My concern would be that if you get a flat / tear / hole, what are you going to do about repairing?...
  • Crayfish
    [My concern would be that if you get a flat / tear / hole, what are you going to do about repairing?...[/quote]

I reckon after you've been riding for a while the beads stretch a bit on the wheel due to the movement so this won't be too much of a problem... hopefully?

(It was the case with the Nobby Nic tubeless tyres on my ZTR Arch rims....)