Frame modifications

The Silver Surfer
The Silver Surfer Posts: 76
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm looking at a 1992 Orange Elite frame to do up with modern parts.

It has the original brake brackets sheared off and a disc brake bracket welded on. If this is done properly, is it strong and accurate enough to work without any problems?

Also has reducer cups on the steerer tube to take it down to standard 1 1/8". Are there any handling issues with this?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Maybe.
    And nope.

But without seeing it it is very hard to say.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    An alloy frame that's been re-welded? I personally wouldn't go for it
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Why not?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Thanks

It's here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300678443681? ... 1423.l2649

looks to be a decent job?

Hmm, looks like they didn't get the bracket in quite the right going by the pile of washers they've needed to get the caliper to clear the rotor...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    The powder coating seems to have been done with a brake adaptor still bolted in. Strange choice, maybe I'm missing something.

Why were the canti bosses removed?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    The welds need to be tig welded for ally as mig would just blow a hole in the material, if done correctly its strong and should not be a problem, the powder coat looks ok.

A frame rewelded at high stress points shound be xrayed after to make sure the weld has fully penetrated the joint.

So ask the seller, is it tig welded and by who? then google the company that did it, the weld does look a neat job, could do with a close up of it on the inside of the frame as well.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    1mancity2 wrote:
    The welds need to be tig welded for ally as mig would just blow a hole in the material, if done correctly its strong and should not be a problem, the powder coat looks ok.

A frame rewelded at high stress points shound be xrayed after to make sure the weld has fully penetrated the joint.

So ask the seller, is it tig welded and by who? then google the company that did it, the weld does look a neat job, could do with a close up of it on the inside of the frame as well.

Not quite. Depending on how it's been 'Mig'd' the weld can be fully penetrating and free from porosity (something like the CMT process). However, the method of welding isn't the whole story.

A big issue is that the almunium will have been exposed to high heat and that will effect material properties around the weld - at a point of maximum mechanical stress, quite possibley weakening the material. Was the frame heat-treated post weld, and if so, how?

For that reason, I would avoid it.

Looking at the shape of the caliper mount - the design will maximise the stress along the weld. Another reason I'd walk away from this one.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.