Sram X3 Shifter problems

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

To cut a long story short, my son does not like the Sram X3 gripshift on his bike, so I bought a Sram X3 thumb shifter, installed it, wouldn't work, turns out the cable end was all mashed up the shifter, sent back refunded, my mate picks up a replacement, open it up, the "display" clear cover is missing and the actual display numbers backing is left is loose in the bag. :x

OK so it seems like these Sram shifters are not much good or I am really unlucky. Bearing in mind, it is a Sram rear mech (X3) and its on a 7 speed cassette (with a large life saver type gear) any other ideas of what I could try. The gripshift is no easier to use despite lubricating the cables etc, any other thumb shifter that would work? What is the shimano equivalent to Sram 3? It is only needed for the r/h side as its on one chain ring on front. What about some old shimano 7 speed, would that work?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like bad luck.

Nothing else will work unless you change the mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yeah, it seems I am stuck with X-3 or a Shimano r.Mech shifter combo but that is more expensive.

I don't suppose an X4 (or higher) would work? I know they are 8/9 speed.

I was searching Ebay for some NOS Shimano 7 speed stuff, not much about.