I think I need panniers

2»

Comments

• Unfortunatly I can't leave the D lock at work because I work at more than one location.

In that case, get one of those locks that couriers wear as a belt. You won't notice the weight nearly so much.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    theyve got panniers in the annual lidl bikey spring a thon

amongst other things
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    gives you a +1 on the FCN... which is no bad thing. And of course, a rack without mudguards looks cack - so thats +2. and you cant really have a rack and mudguards without a beard. So an easy +3.
    Whilst I could probably manage a beard I suspect Velothingy may struggle.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Persuade your employer to give you web access to your stuff. (Small investment on their part *cough*). In seriousness I work in multiple offices too. Use a small (15l) pack on my back because I hate panniers.

I fit all of that stuff you mention bar the entire Amazon rainforest which you say you take home. **HINT**

I don't work multi office most days but I can do. Re. the lock why don't you get one with a bike bracket on it? They rattle but I'm sure you'll manage.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I use panniers for my commute for the reasons mentioned.

I do take too many clothes because I have the room and the weather is often changeable where I live.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For sure, if it's heavy, the pannier is the way forward.

+1. I often do load up the rucksack a bit too much but panniers are much nicer when you start to feel the weight of the pack moving your body around (though you can put a fair bit in before that happens).

For panniers - go Carradice. They are great - there is no need to look at the other brands and you get to help our ailing economy at the same time. For rucksacks - anything as long as there is an air gap between you and the pack. Avoid messenger bags. They are designed for quick, easy repeated access on the move. Fine if you are a messenger, pointless if you are commuting. There is a reason why you never, ever see a hillwalker using a messenger bag. Same reasons apply for commuting.
    Faster than a tent.......