Camera Advice

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
So I'm back to my summer route home but I've been reminded why I don't ride it often in winter - there are some complete d1ckhead drivers who can't wait the 2 or 3 seconds delay it will cause them to wait until we reach the next passing spot to overtake me. In the past week I've had two cars come within inches of me literally a few meters from a passing spot. I'm sick of it already. In the past I've spoken to the local police inspector who just says "Did you get their number?" Often, like these last two occasions, I haven't because I'm too busy being cross :oops: He did also say to me "If you don't feel safe then don't cycle" :roll:

Anyhow - I have a GoPro HD so I was thinking just to strap it to the bike for a week for just that section of road (couple of miles max) to see what I capture.

My question is this: am I better having it facing backwards or forwards? I'm thinking backwards as I think they will be at their slowest AND I might capture faces (these are always people passing me from behind). Once they are level they tend to accelerate. I think from the position of the sun, they might also be better-lit that way.

Any thoughts & guidance?

Or should I just MTFU (and carry half a brick)?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• tigger123
    tigger123 Posts: 60
    I think from the position of the sun, they might also be better-lit that way.

You could also get them to put some make up on for their big part in your production. Also what happens if its an overcast day or foggy or raining? I guess then you could carry some lights facing backwards to light them up. :wink:
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Helmet mounted is best in my experience having caught a guy trying to run me over with mine, he apologised the minute I pointed to the camera and told him he was being film!

Facing backward will catch faces but from the height and possible light conditions i don't think you will get favourable results.

Just my 2p worth
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Facing rearward you won't see (in the film) what you saw (in reality) if you see what I mean!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    chest mounted, facing forward

gopro-hd-vs-vholdr-contourhd-1080p.jpg

although whover this bloke is really needs to mount his gopro upside down to get it set at the best angle like this

p4pb5879840.jpg

or if you dont like the 'sports bra' look above you could use it in 'Crotch Cam' mode

yes it's safe for work and meets the various forum guidelines
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oh please dont, just ride your bike and winch each time yet another dicksplash tries to end your days to further their journey by 2s.

Today wasn't a good day for me, fog + cold + really bad driving even so I still dont need to wind myself up even more by filming it.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tigger123
    tigger123 Posts: 60
    Oh please dont, just ride your bike and winch each time yet another dicksplash tries to end your days to further their journey by 2s.

Winch? Been on the old vino collapso?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,823
    I'd think there is merit in both directions :
    rearwards means, as you say, you have the potential for visuals being captured but is that likely through a glare-prone windscreen of a car travelling at 20 or 30mph ? And what use is that - is it better to have the camera pointed frontways (helmet-mounted) since then you are able to more precisely, once you know where to aim your head, capture numberplates ?
    In situations like yours I wonder myself what the best course of action is - last Sunday I was SW of Edinburgh and riding on a long straight road, right into a pretty stiff wind - top speed probably circa 12 Mph, passing place approaching, glance to the rear, car approaching (few hundred mtrs back), I carry on with the full intention of moving into the passing place but no, probably 10 seconds prior to reaching this point the car squeezed past with not a lot of room to spare. A Sunday, A quiet road. A passing place literally just ahead. Driver is unable to look past the end of his bonnet and slow down a little so that he passes me where the passing place is. Must have been a good Songs of Praise about to start on BBC1 or something. Tool.

I've taken to more regularly giving deliberate backward glances as I approach road furniture and the like that causes me to take a road position that drivers behind may view as 'obstructive' so that they hopefully recognise I am actually making a positive move, not just wandering about blocking their path. I think an extended right arm also might help - on a quiet rural road that behaviour seems a little OTT but if it works and stops me trading paint/skin with a car ...

Also, you could get one of these spring-loaded plastic 'arms' with a little triangle attached to that I used to see some uirban commuters fix to the right rear of their bikes. Make it about 3 feet long and have a nail glued to the end so a driver might fear for his vehicle's paintwork. Adds a little extra air-resistance but maybe worth a shot.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The half brick would probably give me more satisfaction (and probably a criminal record)! Perhaps I could start with a tennis ball...

I'd love to talk to one of these people to understand why the 2-3 second delay is too much for them.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH