Colnago c1970's

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited March 2012 in Workshop
I have a friend who has acquired his dad's colnago frame. It was purchased 2nd hand in the early eighties so assumed to be late 70's built. My friend does not place much value on this bike although he has just delivered it for some restoration and freeing up of seatpost to a bike mechanic/witch doctor of some reknown (this mechanic lives near me in Central Scotland and was reccommended to the Dad by a bike shop in Lancashire!). Can anyone point me in the direction of some Colango history to see if we can identify this machine?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Post a few photos, some here will be able to help...

I hope is not going to fit a SRAM groupset or anything horrible. If in good state, these frames are very sought after by collectors
    left the forum March 2023
  • kippy
    kippy Posts: 26
    There are quite a few classic bikes websites around too so have a good google around. Am sure you'll find some good info with a little searching.

Cant beat a colnago though too, I have built many steel classics over the years and always enjoyed them, I own a C40 too and altough a fairly modern bike is still regarded as a modern classic.

Be nice to see some pics too if you can.
  • Redhog14
    I'll take some pics over the weekend, and put them up, is there a way of checking out frame numbers or something?
  • Redhog14
    6853057266_352d53f18a.jpg

6853058254_d912d15132.jpg

there does not appear to be a frame number or anysuch thing that I could find, any pointers much appreciated.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I am pretty sure it's mid to late 1980s and not 70s... the clearance of the rear tyre is pretty small... if it was already a 130 mm dropout, it's even 1990s... if it has been cold set, then... then it is a shame...

It does look like a Colnago Master... more than a Mexico... the Saronni red is incidental, lots of Colnago had that colour

Very nice... shame for the Shimano modern groupset... oh well, at least he saved the brakes (which are kind of 1989-1990).

Does he not fancy a proper restoration with period components? I can help... At least he should remove the quill to a-head converter, which is "a fist to the eye"... get a quill FFS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kippy
    kippy Posts: 26
    Yeah as above, i'd say late 80'searly 90's too and the components fit in with that period also.

Nice :D
  • mockenrue
    mockenrue Posts: 21
    That's a Super; a friend of mine had an identical frame around 1990.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Mockenrue wrote:
    That's a Super; a friend of mine had an identical frame around 1990.

Well spotted, it is a Colnago Super
  • Redhog14
    thanks guys for your input, I'll pass it on.