Appetite for Destruction; GnR is 25 years old !...

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Mad to find that out today. Had the radio on, Slash being interviewed. The album Appetite for destruction was released 25 years ago :shock: Makes sense working on my music memory timeline but I find that incredible. Where has time gone. I have it on vinyl with the banned cover. Feeling old now :roll:

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    25 years on and Sweet Child and Paradise City are still incredibly fresh, young, angry and fantastic.

Infinitley better than all that tat being produced nowadays.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Cracking album, I also have the original cover vinyl somewhere - it is one of the best bits of album artwork ever IMHO. Back in my days of enjoying obscure rock music I was really annoyed when it suddenly became popular about 6 months after its release. GnR are touring again this year I think but it won't be the same without Slash.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Pross wrote:
    GnR are touring again this year I think but it won't be the same without Slash.

They are touring, but it's really only the Axl Rose roadshow now - no original members and only Dizzy Reed from what most people agree is the best/classic line up (I'd include Matt Sorum over Steve Adler). Had some good reviews though.

I think it's only a matter of time/money before a proper reunion happens - THAT is something I'd pay good money to go and see.
  • Pross
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    GnR are touring again this year I think but it won't be the same without Slash.

They are touring, but it's really only the Axl Rose roadshow now - no original members and only Dizzy Reed from what most people agree is the best/classic line up (I'd include Matt Sorum over Steve Adler). Had some good reviews though.

I think it's only a matter of time/money before a proper reunion happens - THAT is something I'd pay good money to go and see.

I'm not sure it will happen, I thought the falling out between Axl and Slash was too big for that but then again money talks and if the "GnR" tour goes well maybe Slash will do a Robbie Williams and realise he needs to get back in!

Slightly OT but Slash's video for Beautiful Dangerous with Fergie is the best I've seen in years - worth looking up for anyone who hasn't seen it and who has a thing for Fergie (Black Eyed Peas version not the royal minger or mad Glaswegian).
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Pross wrote:
    I'm not sure it will happen, I thought the falling out between Axl and Slash was too big for that but then again money talks and if the "GnR" tour goes well maybe Slash will do a Robbie Williams and realise he needs to get back in!

I think it'll be a while, but it has to happen at some point. I think eventually it will be 'water under the bridge' and demand for the reunion will always be massive.

And re. Slash - I think it might be Axl who needs a re-think. He might have the G'n'R name, but he hasn't got the band. Most of the other guys would happily work together again (and some have).
  • citrus_
    citrus_ Posts: 60
    I heard that they were planning on doing a proper reunion when they're inducted into the Rock hall of fame this year?
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Feeling old indeed!
    If I come across Sweet Child of Mine while surfing the music channels, it's a song I'll always stop at and listen to.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Nar this makes me feel ......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98I85ceICRM
    As seen at Bingly hall staffs with Bon Scott....giving it ROCK..... 8) 8)

Can't have to much of a good thing...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHcKkBWR ... re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kmLmjz_ ... re=related

And to get back on track G&R cover...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04_XJZ67 ... re=related
    bagpuss
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    That band went from incredibly good (when AFD was out) to crap so quickly. Use your Illusion albums were terrible really, hardly anything of note on them... (mind you, listen to the whole of Apetite and there's a few duffers on that too??)...

Why did they do downhill so quickly? Dunno.. but...
    1. Apparently some of them gave up the smack. Not good for the music. They should have kept it up, but some of them decided to clean up, irresponsible.
    2. They replaced a drummer who fitted the band perfectly with a technically far better drummer that took the edge out of the raw sound instantly and changed it for an at-the-time 'more commercial/big' one (they should have known this, cos he'd ruined The Cult before that too.)
    3. Chucked too much money at production and it all started sounding crap.
    4. Couldn't write songs to match. Ran dry of ideas and the good ones they had they over-produced, made overly-long, etc etc.
    5. Changed visually, Axl Rose in lycra or a Kilt, sprinting across stages, how un-rock n roll can you get, would have been better staying on the smack like a good lad, with a cigarette lit, hanging off the mic stand.

I saw them at Donnington (when those kids died) and they were in the moment, brilliant I thought, Slash was so mashed he dropped a bum note into Sweet Child O Mine in the first few bars. Saw them about 2 years later at Wembley (just felt wrong to me, in a stadium... one of 2 stadium gigs i've been dragged to), and the only good thing about it was Nine Inch Nails were supporting, they seemed as 'vital' as GnR had a couple of years before.

Ap for D definitely deserves the success it had though, every drop of it.
  • Pross
    Thought there was some good stuff on Use Your Illusion (the second volume mainly). Civil War is one of the best GnR tracks. Possibly suffered from trying to put out too much at once with Illusion I and II? Spaghetti Incident was OK but I always liked Lies (especially the inside sleeve ;) )
  • bristolpete
    mfin wrote:
    That band went from incredibly good (when AFD was out) to crap so quickly. Use your Illusion albums were terrible really, hardly anything of note on them... (mind you, listen to the whole of Apetite and there's a few duffers on that too??)...

Why did they do downhill so quickly? Dunno.. but...
    1. Apparently some of them gave up the smack. Not good for the music. They should have kept it up, but some of them decided to clean up, irresponsible.
    2. They replaced a drummer who fitted the band perfectly with a technically far better drummer that took the edge out of the raw sound instantly and changed it for an at-the-time 'more commercial/big' one (they should have known this, cos he'd ruined The Cult before that too.)
    3. Chucked too much money at production and it all started sounding crap.
    4. Couldn't write songs to match. Ran dry of ideas and the good ones they had they over-produced, made overly-long, etc etc.
    5. Changed visually, Axl Rose in lycra or a Kilt, sprinting across stages, how un-rock n roll can you get, would have been better staying on the smack like a good lad, with a cigarette lit, hanging off the mic stand.

I saw them at Donnington (when those kids died) and they were in the moment, brilliant I thought, Slash was so mashed he dropped a bum note into Sweet Child O Mine in the first few bars. Saw them about 2 years later at Wembley (just felt wrong to me, in a stadium... one of 2 stadium gigs i've been dragged to), and the only good thing about it was Nine Inch Nails were supporting, they seemed as 'vital' as GnR had a couple of years before.

Ap for D definitely deserves the success it had though, every drop of it.

Classic second album syndrome. Some goods bands die young, Stereophonics, Mansun to name a couple who after album 1 swiftly got it very very wrong. In my humble bedroom guitarist opinion :mrgreen:

I like Chinese Democracy though, a great record. :)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think the tracks sound like excuses to make a video though, the Use tracks, and don't stand the test of time really. Seems to me the success got to them, and the objective became that everything had to sound 'epic' and that's what it sounded like, GnR doing their best to sound epic, with a drummer with a massive kit, pianos, choirs, orchestras, whatever they could lay their hands on. ...the earlier stuff sounds like people too busy jacking up and living on nothing (like they apparently were) as against some people who wanted to be the biggest thing on MTV?

Goes to show how one Les Paul and some good riffs can do more for a band than anything else they can chuck at it.

Its 'second album' or 'second and a half' to the extreme really, I mean, they got big really quickly... those were the days when the anticipation of a new record meant release day sales were mental as well. All the bands coming in the next few years, rock fans we're thinking 'who's gonna be the next Guns n Roses'. You don't really get that anymore it seems, well, not at the moment.
  • bristolpete
    mfin wrote:
    I think the tracks sound like excuses to make a video though, the Use tracks, and don't stand the test of time really. Seems to me the success got to them, and the objective became that everything had to sound 'epic' and that's what it sounded like, GnR doing their best to sound epic, with a drummer with a massive kit, pianos, choirs, orchestras, whatever they could lay their hands on. ...the earlier stuff sounds like people too busy jacking up and living on nothing (like they apparently were) as against some people who wanted to be the biggest thing on MTV?

Goes to show how one Les Paul and some good riffs can do more for a band than anything else they can chuck at it.

Its 'second album' or 'second and a half' to the extreme really, I mean, they got big really quickly... those were the days when the anticipation of a new record meant release day sales were mental as well. All the bands coming in the next few years, rock fans we're thinking 'who's gonna be the next Guns n Roses'. You don't really get that anymore it seems, well, not at the moment.

It worked for Billy Duffy :mrgreen:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Saw them on the tour in the UK for that album at Mcr Apollo and they were rocking. But they took off massively and were required to record/tour incessantly. Fame and money flooded on them and in interviews I've read over the years Rose was developing some kind of complex (think he has depression issues anyway) and so the other members dropped out. No need for a re-union, just let it all go.
    M.Rushton