Commuting and other training?

reformedfatty
reformedfatty Posts: 543
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Just wondering how other people approach this problem.
New job, new commute - but this job is in Bristol and has me driving part of the distance (where it'd be death on a stick to cycle), then riding about 7.5 miles each way. This is a lot quicker and less stressful than if I take the car in the whole way.

That'd be all well and good but I have plenty of other hobbies that have me doing moderate / hard exercise 3 nights a week, and weekends are often away doing active stuff.

My body doesn't seem to understand the concept of taking it easy on the commute and i'm increasingly achy. I make sure I stretch properly and eat / drink properly. Taking the car instead trades physical stress for mental stress!

Just wondering how everyone else deals with it? MTFU? or will my body adapt to the level of activity?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Your body will adapt.

But depending on whether you're doing exercise or training you might want to give yourself a day off to rest if you know you're out on the weekend. I'm trying to up my mileage and did 50miles on Sunday, 15 and gym monday, 30 tuesday then got tube home and in on Weds with gym. Cycle today and then tube and gym tomorrow, then probably not much on Saturday. Am finding that if I don't have any days off then I just get friday legs all the time and it's less enjoyable.
    I know my mileage isn't anywhere near some people's here, but it's still more than my body is used to so needs rest.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Supplements + sleep! Currently I train 3 days per week + the odd circuit class and cycle to work (6.5 mile each way). Early nights, lots of fluid and magnesium pills before bed to help my body recover. Nom nom!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    And stretching.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    okgo wrote:
    And stretching.

Hmm - I generally fail in that area :( Any good cycle specific routines about?

I totally find that I haven't enough hours in the day to do it all sometimes. Get up, SSS, breakfast, ride to work, work, ride home, twice a week weights but otherwise its shower/food/10 mins with the g/f and bed. She gets hacked off eating late so there is some domestic pressure to get changed/cook/eat. I was doing karate another 2 nights a week and that was getting too much - arriving home at 9 absolutely caned.