Too Fast?

sfichele
sfichele Posts: 605
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
So I've had a bit of criticism or raised eyebrows from non-cyclists and friends about going 40+ mph on a bike.
A lot of people seem to think this is too fast on a public road for someone who isn't clad in armour and has rim brakes etc. Incredibly had responses like "surely, a bike isn't designed to go that fast" :shock:

Thoughts?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tell them to strap on a pair.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    If 40mph on a bike that is more than capable of it is too fast,then is 70mph on a motorway in a modern car capable of 110+

These sound like the kind of people who would put suncream on before opening the fridge.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    sfichele wrote:
    So I've had a bit of criticism or raised eyebrows from non-cyclists and friends about going 40+ mph on a bike.
    A lot of people seem to think this is too fast on a public road for someone who isn't clad in armour and has rim brakes etc. Incredibly had responses like "surely, a bike isn't designed to go that fast" :shock:

Thoughts?

Are they definitely asking from the perspective of the bikes capability or concerned as to what you'd do if, say, you had a blow-out?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Aggieboy wrote:
    sfichele wrote:

Thoughts?

Are they definitely asking from the perspective of the bikes capability or concerned as to what you'd do if, say, you had a blow-out?
    I don't know, but I should point that I have had a front wheel blow-out descending at 50mph. For a fraction of a second I really thought I'd had it, but I just braked smoothly in a straight line and came to a halt without drama - just a slightly dented rim: I was able to change the tube and ride (slowly!) the 5 miles home.

More on-topic, how many bike crashes are caused by absolute speed as opposed to speed that is a bit too fast for the situation?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well, it's a case of time and place is nt it. 40mph down a straight road where you can see for 5 miles ahead then fine - 40mph past a school gate at home time, or around a blind bend you don't know, not.

The bike is surely capable of it, the question is more about the rider and the road. It sounds liek they don't know much about road racing so Iwould nt worry about it unduly...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sfichele
    The criticism is from descending the Snake Pass at 40+ mph, whilst riding primary so I that I wouldn't be bullied/side-lined by cars behind me. I was behind a line of cars, and keeping up with them. I'd left a reasonable amount of room in front and was in full control of the bike, but despite that still got bullied out of the way by motorbikes.

So is 40 mph too fast in that situation? Would you sit up, and hold left and just left the traffic go past?
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564

These sound like the kind of people who would put suncream on before opening the fridge.

Of topic I know.. No-one told me you had to put suncream on before opening the fridge! What factor? Face only or all exposed flesh? All the times I've gone for a glass of milk in the middle of the night.. Naked! I need to lay down.. Too much to get my head round. :shock:
  • sfichele
    All the times I've gone for a glass of milk in the middle of the night.. Naked!

Oh god, need to remove mental image from my brain. Remember, careful not to slam the door, could be painful
  • t.m.h.n.e.t

Of topic I know.. No-one told me you had to put suncream on before opening the fridge! What factor? Face only or all exposed flesh? All the times I've gone for a glass of milk in the middle of the night.. Naked! I need to lay down.. Too much to get my head round. :shock:
    :lol::lol:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    sfichele wrote:
    The criticism is from descending the Snake Pass at 40+ mph, whilst riding primary so I that I wouldn't be bullied/side-lined by cars behind me. I was behind a line of cars, and keeping up with them. I'd left a reasonable amount of room in front and was in full control of the bike, but despite that still got bullied out of the way by motorbikes.

So is 40 mph too fast in that situation? Would you sit up, and hold left and just left the traffic go past?

Not a chance! My descent where I refuse to be bullied by anyone is the sharpish descent down from the Cat towrds Buxton...I've sweated up that climb so I've earned the right to go as fast as fck.
  • Aggieboy

Are you allowed to put descriptions on here of your milky white naked body, bathed in soft fridge light, seductively bending over to place your hands around the full fat??

The thought police are on way from 'Commuting' as I type...........
    369431bb.gif
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Aggieboy wrote:

Are you allowed to put descriptions on here of your milky white naked body, bathed in soft fridge light, seductively bending over to place your hands around the full fat??

369431bb.gif

There's a new policeman in town, don't worry...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    sfichele wrote:

I don't see their logic there.
    IIRC that road is too tight for a car to comfortably pass a cyclist while a car is coming the other way. Therefore as they are going to have to cross the white line anyway, what difference would it make if you are in the left or in primary?
    If you are keeping up with the traffic then slowing down is only going to lead to more frustration in the following traffic. No?

Getting bullied by weekend warriors is another issue.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy wrote:

369431bb.gif

Oooh, prey tell. You going to 'Mod'? Can we ever mention private schooling again? :wink:
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Aggieboy wrote:

Was that you hiding in the corner? if I'd know I was being watched I wouldn't have drank out of the bottle!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

369431bb.gif

Oooh, prey tell. You going to 'Mod'? Can we ever mention private schooling again? :wink:
    He's a mod
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I was descending a local road here at around 40mph (peaked at 46mph, which remains my top speed on a bike). To be honest, when I got to the bottom I gave myself a bit of a telling off because I was pushing it beyond the limits of what is sensible... visibility around the bends wasn't great and I was just hoping and praying there wasn't anything blocking the road around the corners.

So yes, in that situation, I should have probably stuck to 30mph.

Straight road, plenty of visibility, confidence in your own ability? Go as fast as you like. Just make sure you only hurt yourself if it goes wrong and there isn't a problem. People are too quick to judge other peoples enjoyment.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    They are probably asking if I bike is designed to go that slowly downhill and hinting that you should MTFU ;)
  • sfichele
    Pross wrote:
    They are probably asking if I bike is designed to go that slowly downhill and hinting that you should MTFU ;)

Yeah, the reason I ask, is because I was worried about the grip on 23's when you cack yourself, and it trickles all over them.

Car in front was holding me up ;)
  • Aggieboy
    bompington wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    sfichele wrote:

Thoughts?

I don't know, but I should point that I have had a front wheel blow-out descending at 50mph. For a fraction of a second I really thought I'd had it, but I just braked smoothly in a straight line and came to a halt without drama - just a slightly dented rim: I was able to change the tube and ride (slowly!) the 5 miles home.

More on-topic, how many bike crashes are caused by absolute speed as opposed to speed that is a bit too fast for the situation?

Out of interest where you on a straight line when the blow-out happened? I assume had you been leaning, it would have been more serious. I assume these things happen but I've never heard of a fatality because of it.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    At the end of the day once you go over a certain speed (as to what that is will depend on conditions) then any crash is going to hurt :shock: Coming off at 40mph will surly hurt as much as coming off at 60mph :?:

Unless your riding like a complete twat and endangering other road users then it's best to not think about the what if's.
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Sounds like they are just jealous because they know that if they took up cycling, they wouldn't be able to manage anywhere near 40mph. But as said before, it is definitely a matter of place. Down a clear road is fine, down a road with a lot of cars and pedestrians is not so good at all.
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • Aggieboy
    Sounds like they are just jealous because they know that if they took up cycling, they wouldn't be able to manage anywhere near 40mph. But as said before, it is definitely a matter of place. Down a clear road is fine, down a road with a lot of cars and pedestrians is not so good at all.

As you only have one route I don't think your view counts. :lol:
  • Seriously - you could probably do plenty of damage to yourself falling off a bike at 15mph, never mind any faster - so it becomes something of a moot point...

As long as you aren't breaking the speed limit, or riding at speeds beyond that which conditions allow (fog/ice/rain) I struggle to see how anyone could say you were going 'too fast'. Speed doesn't cause accidents - inattention, carelessness, mechanical failure and INAPPROPRIATE speed cause accidents...
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Aggieboy wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    sfichele wrote:

Thoughts?

Out of interest where you on a straight line when the blow-out happened? I assume had you been leaning, it would have been more serious. I assume these things happen but I've never heard of a fatality because of it.
    Never saw this until the thread just got bumped - the answer, if you're still interested (I am, it was certainly a very interesting experience), is that I was indeed going in a straight line:

200m or so earlier I was rounding the bend by the farm at 40+, I might have gone in one end of the barn and out the other...

NB Nico, was this the road you were talking about? I can tell you from experience that you can see (and brake in time for) a tractor coming up the hill round this bend, but only just :shock:
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Seriously - you could probably do plenty of damage to yourself falling off a bike at 15mph, never mind any faster - so it becomes something of a moot point...

As long as you aren't breaking the speed limit, or riding at speeds beyond that which conditions allow (fog/ice/rain) I struggle to see how anyone could say you were going 'too fast'. Speed doesn't cause accidents - inattention, carelessness, mechanical failure and INAPPROPRIATE speed cause accidents...
    Speed limits don't apply to cycles :)
  • Seriously - you could probably do plenty of damage to yourself falling off a bike at 15mph, never mind any faster - so it becomes something of a moot point...

Speed limits don't apply to cycles :)

Technically no, but i'm sure that a decent legal case could be made that disregarding the legal limits would constitute 'dangerous' cycling - or whatever the relevant law is called - in the same way that not everything in the Highway Code is 'law' but ignoring it can be used as good justification for prosecution under other legislation...

But more to the point, given that speed limits are essentially arbitary anyway, I meant more in the sense that they are broadly accepted by the road using population as a whole as the maximum reasonable speed which can be travelled at on a given piece of road...
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I was stopped and 'advised' by a police car who had sat behind me on a country road (speed limit 60) that because I was cycling over 30mph (on a slightly downhill straight with no trees to obscure the road) I was cycling too fast to allow traffic to overtake safely.

Gobsmacked doesn't say enough. I contacted the local Police Station and was told that this, indeed, is not correct but if I was aware I was blocking traffic I should have pulled over at the first safe opportunity.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    nweststeyn wrote:
    I was stopped and 'advised' by a police car who had sat behind me on a country road (speed limit 60) that because I was cycling over 30mph (on a slightly downhill straight with no trees to obscure the road) I was cycling too fast to allow traffic to overtake safely.

Gobsmacked doesn't say enough. I contacted the local Police Station and was told that this, indeed, is not correct but if I was aware I was blocking traffic I should have pulled over at the first safe opportunity.

You should have asked the idiot if he was in the habit of pulling over cars travelling at less than the legal limit for the same reason. It would seem that he thinks that there are only two legal speeds to travel at - the speed limit and 'slow enough to overtake safely'.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sfichele
    nweststeyn wrote:

WTF and from a cop! Just goes to show the general ignorance and views of non cyclists. Unless you are riding in the gutter and at less than 10 mph, then you are going too fast and are in the way.