Bike Fit Question

spacedraptor
spacedraptor Posts: 10
edited March 2012 in Workshop
I'm a mountain biker & i just bought my first road bike mostly for commuting seat to stem measurment is 56cms, crank to top of seat tube 54cms, if i'm out of anymore than an hour i get a terrible burning sesation in my lower back which makes riding very uncomfortable. I'm 6' tall with an inside leg measurement of 32". the guy in the shop assured me that the frame is the correct size for me & when i stand over the top tube i only have a couple of inches of clearence from standing on the floor which seems right.

would my back pain be because I'm not used to riding distance or because of an incorrect fitting frame? pain eases if i stand & pedel.

If it's the frame is there anything i can do to make riding position more comfortable? because i can't afford to replace a new bike.

Comments

• If you can possibly afford it get a proffesional bike fit done and back of distance and time until you get this sorted - a new bike may seem daunting but a new back is just not an option so don't take any chances!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Stand over height is not important, the important measurement on a road bike is the top tube length.
    A 56 top tube should be ok for your height, you just need to get dialled in on it properly.
    Whereabouts do you live?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    when you say "seat to stem measurement", do you mean the effective top tube length? I.e. a straight line from the centre of the steerer tube to the centre of the seat tube?
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Stand over height is not important, the important measurement on a road bike is the top tube length.
    A 56 top tube should be ok for your height, you just need to get dialled in on it properly.
    Whereabouts do you live?

I live in Burnley Lanc's
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You have Paul Hewitt near you although I have heard mixed very good and very poor reports about him.
    I recommend to anyone who intends to cycle a lot, whether racing or not to get a proper fit.
    The guy I and many others have been to who works wonders with position is in Staffordshire so not too far from you if you have a car, just a couple of hours but it would be well well worth a visit. When I retire to France he's still the guy I'll go to!

Www.cadencesport.co.uk
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • styxd wrote:
    when you say "seat to stem measurement", do you mean the effective top tube length? I.e. a straight line from the centre of the steerer tube to the centre of the seat tube?

My top tube lenght is 56cms